my first coffee bean hurricane

Angie B

I don't want to make anyone angry - but how can you have a website offering candles for sale when you are still in the beginning stages of learning. You posted that these were your first candles. However, they are very nice looking candles - good job!

I don't want to make anyone angry - but how can you have a website offering candles for sale when you are still in the beginning stages of learning. You posted that these were your first candles. However, they are very nice looking candles - good job!

I agree.

I checked your site after reading Judette's post and in your about me page it says where you went shopping one day and by 10pm that night you had mastered whatever it was you had made, and now you are making and selling a TON of different types of candles, etc. and they are all "custom creations".

I hope, and pray that these "custom creations" are being tested thoroughly before being sent out to the customer (sorry didn't read your whole site to see the lead time on orders etc.).

Again, not TRYING to bash you, but this is serious business here!

I have been at this for 3 years now, and am STILL not selling, really because my main focus is on REPEAT customers or customers telling OTHERS to buy MY candles, etc. No, I'm not telling you it should take 3 years, and really I could safely sell my candles and get repeat customers at this point and probably even a year ago, IF I could ever get a friggin' label on them that I like, and get a website and brochures going on. ;) I'm pretty anal about this and only this, I just know it's going out in the "world" and want it to be perfect in MY eyes.

My point is, if you're NOT taking your time and testing each and every new thing you make, you could be setting yourself up for a lawsuit.

Thank you Michi

I, too, have been making candles about three years and when I read in her 'about me' that she had it mastered by 10:00 pm I about croaked. Please read thread in off topic area. "What's up with this" Kind of related to this. Very interesting. I am just sorry for the poor sucker that buys an untested, possibly unsafe candle.

Wow!

I am kinda speechless & I guess Thanking you at the same time. On that note...I do appciate all opinions & take all in consideration. The webste, I have been setting that up (with the help of my mother n law) with intensions of it not being up for actuall business for a few months no certain number of months.....you see you cant even order off it yet. I posted the website in here to get people to look at it & offer me advise..which so far I am getting. I have been making candles for about 3 months now & when I said I mastered "something" as someone said...I said I had ALMOST mastered how to to do a candle meaning with the wick & wax & container. I learned how to melt wax into a container with a wick. Over the next few weeks I had some fall & some melt to the ground & some have no scent & some about blow your nose off. I searched online & read books & spent I dont know how much money on wax & dyes & scents...as soneones signature said.. My husband said if I buy anymore candle or soap supplies he'll leave me....... I'll miss him!! ..welll I was that wife to..litterally. lol I have tested & tested & tested & one reason I have come here..to learn more. I have figured out how to get a pillar to stand & melt very well I have to say & finally figured out the scent thing. My first thing I did was chunks..& then switched to Gel candles, which I can do alot better then paraffin wax candles. Again I have tested those as well & have noted to anyone I have sold to (which has ONLY been family so far) that it is just for decoration only! I dont want the embeds to burn (which I know they will)

Once again..thank you for your comments & they will be taking in consideration. You guys are hash & maybe thats what i need, but i have to say you know how to make someones day grim.

Angie B

Judette..Thanks for the "GGOD JOB" :D These were some of my first pillars I did..about 3 months ago..I was amazed out how easy it was til I tried to light one & it burned right down the center..lol I did some testing & searching online at why they are doing this. Thats when I spent many hours online & in the kitchen testing & reading & testing some more & finding out about wick sizes..etc.

I jumped to the keybaord earlier & i apoligize..to you all..I just read acouple replies & got my feelings hurt..I believe in no way that i am perfect nor are my candles, but to hear from someone about my website (that i have been working on so hard lately) with no intensions of even getting any orders from (seeing the order page is under construction) it just hurt to hear some of the things I heard & on another page I was acused of being a fake (or as said.pulling your guys legs. I'm just trying to do something here I love..& thought maybe I can make alittle money. I have sold a few but only to family members that are trying to be nice & at the same time being my testers..so I dont get sued...lol

Again..i'm sorry for jumping the gun..I do take in consideration what you all say & try to learn from it. Maybe next timw just hit me alittle softer. :cry2:

Angie B

Thank you Michi

I, too, have been making candles about three years and when I read in her 'about me' that she had it mastered by 10:00 pm I about croaked. Please read thread in off topic area. "What's up with this" Kind of related to this. Very interesting. I am just sorry for the poor sucker that buys an untested, possibly unsafe candle.

I just wanted to add here..I do test all my items..i dont want anyone to get hurt from this & dont think I havnet thought about that...everytime I make a candle I think about it. I know first hand what a candle can do..

Thank you Michi

I have read this & yes i see what you guys are saying..Truely know what you are saying...I'm not doing this to get rich..i'm doing this to have some fun & see what i can do..with candles...

As I said again & again..i'm not one of those poeple that are pumping out candles without testing & retesting...actualy i'm not pumping out candles at all..lol I've sold 3 candles & they have been to a friend & family..Ooooo, i'm selling now..lol Its something that makes me feel wanted especially after becoming a SAHM (stay at home mom)..It gives me something to do during the day while kids are at school. I know how it must have sounded to you guys (my website) & maybe i need to change the wording..but i am trying & not trynig to kill someone..I understand the fire hazards & lawsuits. It might be years (like some of you) before I sell any..but right now its fun & i enjoy it. Even if i am the only one buying my own candles...lol :D

If you looked at my site.its all under construction..cant even order from it.yet! Just wanted feedback & well I guiess I got it

Obviously we've upset you, but for me who has worked soooo very hard at this, it's just unnerving to have someone come here say they've just started, and already they've got a website, they've perfected this candle and that candle, and that candle, probably booking holiday shows, etc. etc.

It might be years (like some of you) before I sell any.

I guess I must be confused then, because you already have your website up and running, no where does it state that it's under construction!

It just boggles the mind that you expect me or anyone else here to believe that you've mastered so many different types of candles, containers candles of every shape and size (you even offer to use customer's own container :shocked2: ), pillars of all kinds, hurricanes, gel candles etc. in 20 different scents, all in 3 months time. PLUS have time to do a website, have kids, etc.

Plus, the focus on your website is to offer "custom candles" per customers specs. and a four day turn around time once order is placed.

You have only been doing this for 3 MONTHS per your admission, and I guess it's just hard to believe that you could be putting your website out for anyone to see, and not be trying selling these. You may not have a working shopping cart (no where does it state that the ordering page is under construction or that you are not currently taking orders!) but you DO state for people to contact you for pricing and give out your address for them to send you money orders.

Your statement:

I'm just trying to do something here I love..& thought maybe I can make alittle money.

This leads me and anyone else who sees your site, to believe that you ARE indeed selling.

& when I said I mastered "something" as someone said...I said I had ALMOST mastered

This just cracks me up, yah you've changed it since this afternoon when I first looked at your site, and it stated that you had gone shopping one day for your supplies and by 10pm you had mastered it.

I never said you are intentionally trying to kill people, only that their are hazards and safety precautions that should be taken in the form of testing thoroughly etc.

Obviously I'm not the Candle police, and I can't make anyone follow important safety guidelines or have the same morals/values as I do, but I sure can voice my opinion when I see someone just jumping into something she doesn't know much about.

Sorry if you're upset by what I've said and think it's harsh, but YOU upset ME!

I've worked too hard and too long for YOU to give my candles (or any other hardworking candlemaker) a bad name! I don't want to have to hear something along the lines of, "Gee your candles look really nice, but after the experience I've had I'll NEVER buy another handmade candle again!"

You can try and gloss it over and backpedal, but I don't believe for ONE SECOND that you are not selling/trying to sell all those oh so many different types of candles you are showing on your hosted, out there for the whole world to see, website.

There I've said it. Putting on my flame retardant suit now. LOL

FIRST OF ALL..I cant change my site..like I said i am doing this with my mother n law & she is the one with the know how to make this web site up..she is all the way in Maryland. Why i am explaining myself to you I know know. ..I have tried explaining myself to you & you keep BASHING ME!!!!! LOOK AT THE ORDER PAGE .. MICHI...VERY TOP UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!! & ON CHECK OUT PAGE!!!!! ONCE AGAIN I HAVE NOT CHANGED ANYTING..YOU JUST DIDNT STOP & READ WHAT I WROTE..TO BUSY TO JUMP THE GUN & BASH ME.

MANY TIMES I WRONT LAST NIGHT THAT I AM NOT TRYING TO BE PERFECT & IN NO MEANS ARE MY CANDLES PERFECT. SO STOP SAYING I HAVE PERFECTED ANYTHING!!!!

"You have only been doing this for 3 MONTHS per your admission, and I guess it's just hard to believe that you could be putting your website out for anyone to see, and not be trying selling these. You may not have a working shopping cart (no where does it state that the ordering page is under construction or that you are not currently taking orders!) but you DO state for people to contact you for pricing and give out your address for them to send you money orders. "

I HAVE NO ADVERTISED ANYWHERE BUT HERE, HOPING ONCE AGAIN I COULD GET FEEDBACK..YOU CANT EVEN SEARCH ME.

YOU KNOW MY HUSBAND SAID I WAS MISREADING YOU...WELL I HAVE TO ADMIT FOR ONCE HE WAS WRONG! aFTER THIS MORNING, I NOW KNOW I HAVE NOT MISREAD YOU..

GOOD BYE - CT!

YOU ARENT EVEN LISTENING TO ME & THAT IN ITSELF UPSETS ME!

Guest amynleebishop

I went to this website and if you click on the shopping cart, it does say Please have patience, this page under construction. I dont know if this has been there or was just placed there and Granted she is asking folks to call or send money to have their candles made. With a 4 day turn around....., that is barely enough time for the candles to cure and be shipped but maybe she knows something we dont.

I have to say that I love this site because even after doing this for 10 yrs, I have still found helpful hints and suggestions that I have been able to incorporate into my work BUT this site is a deterant to some because the as you call them "newbie's" come to this site for assistance and knowledge from the seasoned pro's and they are excited about their accomplishments and instead of getting constructive criticism, they are getting seriously put in their place. Some people are being brutally honest.

I know there are ALOT of safety issues with this b/cuz she has only been doing this for 3 months and she already has a website.....God after 3 months I was still testing and testing and testing.....see a pattern here? The thinking that she has it mastered is a figure of speech and an insult to those of us who actually know what we are doing. Angie, I am not knocking you girl, but I seriously hope that you have really good liability insurance. Cant we all just get along?? :D