New to candle making

shaya

Hello, I am new to the candle making business. I have my first order arriving today. I have ordered Joy wax, wicks,and some scents from natures garden. I am not sure of the best things to buy. I practiced by melting some old candles to get the hang of melting the wax and pouring it. I ran into major sinking in the candle. Is there any kind of wax that you do not have to do second pour? Also i had trouble with the wax getting on the side of container. Any suggestions. I want to make sure this is something i like so i dont want to buy all of the pans and things yet. I am doing the cheap coffee can for now. Any suggestions or advice on anything?:rolleyes2

Hi, I'm still new myself, been at this since April. You will most likely get addicted like the rest of us, so good luck! I use J50 and its a single pour container wax. They suggest that you start with one kind of candle and perfect that b4 you move on. And test, test and more test...to find the best wax and wicks for you. What type of candle do you want to make? Some of the experts will answer your questions, just give them time and welcome aboard! Dee

If your wax is getting on your container you can just wipe it clean. Pour slowly and steady, that helps. I pour at 150-160, but that is with my J50 wax. Keep parcticing and you'll get it, and don't be afraid. I was intimidated by the wax in the beginning, but I'm better now.

try using a glass measuring cup (wallmart has these for $3 or $4) ......since you are using an unknown wax right now there will be very little help .... as soon as you begin using the joy wax, people who are familiar with that type of wax will be able to help you. So melt your wax in your coffee can (I assume you are using a double boiler type method?), then pour the wax into the measuring cup, add your fragrance and color, mix well, then pour into your container. Even if some 'slops' on the side of the container, you will be pouring the container 'full' so it should not be noticeable.

There are many different types of waxes, each with their own characteristics so what I may know is going to be different from what someone else knows.

As I said in the other post, reading back posts will be very helpful - and the search function is great....just type in a couple of words and you will very likely get lots of information.

And be patient:D got lots of folks who will help when they get an opportunity....if you are lucky you might get an immediate answer but most likely it will take longer than 30 minutes.....

Welcome to the board!

I use Joy wax for ALL my containers and love it. The only containers that I get a sink hole with are my 8 oz sq masons and 16 oz smooth masons. Simply take the heat gun to it or top it off.

You can use a glass measuring cup to pour your wax. Joy cleans up very easily, so if you get any on the container you can simply take a paper towel and wipe it right off.

You might as well go ahead and sign up for CMA, because you WILL definitely be needing it once you have finished pouring that starter kit. aka "Candle Makers Anonoymous" Welcome new member! HTH Portia

Shaya, PM = personal message - after you have made at least 8 posts, (I think it is) you will be able to send and receive pm's.

eta: to send a pm - click on the member's name that you wish to pm and then select, "send a private message to..______" from the drop down menu.

Different waxes behave differently. A pillar wax requires a repour, which may be the "old candles" wax that you are practicing with - I did the same thing..lol..when I was waiting for my first supplier bought wax to arrive. :grin2:

I like making pillars more than I do containers and just had to learn about doing second pours. Second pours are just an extra step and it's really not a big deal. Just remember to poke relief holes (not a big deal either). There are basic pouring instructons here on candletech over on the left side of the page. (top left tab)

Read all that you can and then experiment. It will come to you through practice. Have fun! :smiley2: