A question I am not finding the answer for

I hear you all talk about different kinds of wax you use and I am sure there is a reason for whichever kind you pick.

Ok, here is what I want to do....I just want to make candles to put in jars or small containers but no wick as I don't plan to burn them, I use heating plates for my candles. What would be the best kind of wax to use for what I want to do?

I have been reading and reading back through the archives and frankly, I think I am more confused than before, if that is possible. :-)

If I were to make a wickless candle, I would want to get the wax that could carry the highest fragrance load without seeping - but I don't know what that is lol I have only used one (well, two really but I ditched the other when it wouldn't work) kind of wax.

I'm sure there are alot of ladies (and gents!) on here that tested alot of different waxes and they can help with that, but I would go for the highest fragrance load wax.

If I were to make a wickless candle, I would want to get the wax that could carry the highest fragrance load without seeping - but I don't know what that is lol I have only used one (well, two really but I ditched the other when it wouldn't work) kind of wax.

I'm sure there are alot of ladies (and gents!) on here that tested alot of different waxes and they can help with that, but I would go for the highest fragrance load wax.

That is what I want, one that will hold the fragrance the longest.

I got a candle given to me by a friend a few years ago, this was before I got interested in making candles and she is no longer around for me to ask her about it but she used a fragrance oil called LOVE. It has the best scent or I think it does and would like to find that FO to use.

Look no further (well, you can if you want :cool2: ) than IGI's Comfort Blend 4627. I used this a couple of years ago when I first started making wickless candles, and there really and truly (of course this just my opinion) is no other wax that will hold as much scent as this stuff. You can get away with a full 2 oz. per lb, at least that was my experience...the hot throw is incredible.

Of course, this wax is sort of a pain in the rear because of it's sticky gooey consistency. If you can look past this, you will have kick-butt wickless candles for your warmers! Oh, and try those tureen jars from Candlescience! They are large-mouth, and short, which will melt your candles safely, more quickly, and release a much better hot throw!

Look no further (well, you can if you want :cool2: ) than IGI's Comfort Blend 4627. I used this a couple of years ago when I first started making wickless candles, and there really and truly (of course this just my opinion) is no other wax that will hold as much scent as this stuff. You can get away with a full 2 oz. per lb, at least that was my experience...the hot throw is incredible.

Of course, this wax is sort of a pain in the rear because of it's sticky gooey consistency. If you can look past this, you will have kick-butt wickless candles for your warmers! Oh, and try those tureen jars from Candlescience! They are large-mouth, and short, which will melt your candles safely, more quickly, and release a much better hot throw!

Ok, sounds good. Where do I find this stuff?? The IGI Comfort Blend 4627.

I'm going to jump in here.

I have made and sold hundreds of wickless.

The warmers will warm the wax and oil just fine. 1.5 oz is more than enough for wickless. It carries all through the house. More than that can be suffocating. Remember that all of the fragrance is warmed in a huge melt pool, it isn't the same as a burning candle with a small percentage of a meltpool

Just make sure that you use a short container, like an eight ounce tureen -

Candle Science has them, or the Ball Platinum Elite - available at Wal-Mart, some hardware stores, and some grocery stores have them as well.

Good Luck to you.

I'm going to jump in here.

I have made and sold hundreds of wickless.

The warmers will warm the wax and oil just fine. 1.5 oz is more than enough for wickless. It carries all through the house. More than that can be suffocating. Remember that all of the fragrance is warmed in a huge melt pool, it isn't the same as a burning candle with a small percentage of a meltpool

Just make sure that you use a short container, like an eight ounce tureen -

Candle Science has them, or the Ball Platinum Elite - available at Wal-Mart, some hardware stores, and some grocery stores have them as well.

Good Luck to you.

You mean use like a short squaty container??

Thanks for your advice. :D

You mean use like a short squaty container??

Thanks for your advice. :D

Yes. It is an absolute must for wickless. You want the wax to melt completely and throw the scent in a reasonable amount of time. You can only achieve that with the short squatty containers, like those I mentioned.

I love the tureens from CS because they are attractive, they work well with the warmers, and they are a good and consistent grade of glassware.

You can achieve a full melt in about a 30-45 minutes. Don't worry about the fragrances diminishing too quickly either...trust me, they don't.

I should have mentioned also, I use soys. Lots of different ones too - all with the same results. They are very long lasting in wickless.

But I don't see why a paraffin would not behave the same as soy in a wickless format.

You'll be fine with this. It is a great way to start off, not as scary or problematic as dealing with wicks. It's a cinch. It is not overwhelming at all. Honestly, when I put wickless side-by-side with wicked candles, the wickless outsells the wicked every time.

There are a lot of ppl here to help and guide you, you are not alone.

Best Wishes,

Fern-Marie

• 1 month later...

Just jumping in real quick, I also deal with a lot of wickless (just starting to wick a few things and testing) and I have tried various soy brands of wax and all had great results. My container of choice though is the 4oz tins. It melts quick and stays hot and gives a great throw. With any wickless container you always want the short and wide, I tested a few taller jars and it didnt give the results like the shorter, wider containers.

Good luck :smiley2:

• 4 weeks later...

I don't ave anything to compare to but from the research I did before I bought my wax I thought IGI 4267 would be a good wax for wickless candles. I have started burning the samples that I have made at work and they burn and smell great. I use 12oz jars and still have them completely melted in about an hour so not much longer then the 8ox jars mentioned before. I also was wonder if anyone thinks that is to big of a jar. From my little experience I think they smell great I use 1oz of FO per lb. I have read I can use up to 2oz per lb but I don't think I will up my FO unless the FO is not as stong. So I guess what I started to say I think the 4627 works well for wickless candles and my customers have agreed so far. I order from BItterCreek in WIs. and I have been very happy with everything from them including the customer service. Good Luck