Making Candy Cane Votives

Joni

Hi...I am so new to making candles and I have a ton of questions (as Im sure you have noticed! lol)...I have only made tealights and a couple tarts so far, but I would really like to make white and red layered votives and use the scent candy cane and I want all the layers to smell the same.

Will I have to use white dye to color the white layers, or can I just use regular wax. Does the FO ever make the white, "not so white"?

How long do I allow the first layer to cool before pouring the next layer? Should I make 2 complete batches of melted wax because one is to be white and the other red?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

TIA

Will I have to use white dye to color the white layers, or can I just use regular wax.

You can use regular wax, but sometimes the red will bleed into the white (or vice versa) and make the white pink..

Does the FO ever make the white, "not so white"?

Some FO's can discolor the wax, yes. The candy cane scent I use however, doesn't discolor the white wax. The more clear the fo is, the less likely it is to discolor your wax. But sometimes over time vanilla based scents can discolor the wax even if it is a light/clear FO.

How long do I allow the first layer to cool before pouring the next layer?

With the votive wax I use, it doesn't pull away from the sides hardly at all, so I let miy layered votives cool until it is barely warm to the touch on the outside of the mold.

Should I make 2 complete batches of melted wax because one is to be white and the other red?

That's how I do my layered votives. However I've never done more than 3 layers in votives, so not sure how easy it would be with many multiple layers...

HTH a little. Have fun. Most people don't like making votives, but I love making them. I think they are fun!! :)

I tried that my first year of candle making. It was fun, but my white turned a bit of pink. So I opted to do chunk votives. Made red chunks and did the overpour in white. Family, friends, and customers love them. They are a must have every year for me.

ooooooh I really like the sound of those chunk candles.....but sounds a little too advanced for me. Does the white still turn pink with those? Do u have a pick of them for me to see how they look? This idea sounds great....I plan on working on some tomorrow and would love to know what I have to do.

THANKS!

I hated making votives, then I got wick pins, and now, I "tolerate" them. LOL! But I don't mind making chunk votives. I can't really answer you on the soy, because I use a parasoy blend, and don't really know if the properties of the soy will cause bleeding of the red into white. I'd be happy to PM you how I do this if you are still interested. It's alot of more fun for me. I have a picture of carrot cake w/buttercream frosting chunks but no candy cane. Sorry!

I manually set my votive wicks but Im getting curious about wick pins and would love to know how it works with votives:D

I tried manually setting my wicks recently and wanted to scream. I've been using wick pins for three years. You just place the pin in your votive cup, pour your votive, and when cool you pull the votive out of the cup, then push out the pin, then insert the wick, stick on a warning label, and Woo hoo a Votive. Now, if I could find a one pour votive wax (that I like), I'd enjoy them much more.

Good luck and let me know if you like the pins. I had gotten mine from Candles & Supplies when they had a buy one get one free sale on them. Candlewic also puts them on sale regularly.

I tried manually setting my wicks recently and wanted to scream. I've been using wick pins for three years. You just place the pin in your votive cup, pour your votive, and when cool you pull the votive out of the cup, then push out the pin, then insert the wick, stick on a warning label, and Woo hoo a Votive. Now, if I could find a one pour votive wax (that I like), I'd enjoy them much more.

Good luck and let me know if you like the pins. I had gotten mine from Candles & Supplies when they had a buy one get one free sale on them. Candlewic also puts them on sale regularly.

Sounds like I will be making a trip for some wick pins, wicking is the part I hate the most for votives! I wasnt sure when I looked at them at C&S what to do with them lol but now I know.. for some reason I was thinking you had to poke them through the votives after they were done :o thanks for shedding a light on this for me..lol wick pin THEN pour :D

• 1 month later...