Can someone explain this to me?

Robin29

I do not understand this. How much lye? How much water?

link: http://www.the-sage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php

The chart did not turn out, but I used this recipe:

50% olive oil (no need to get extra virgin; light olive oil is great!)

25% coconut oil (Lou Ana brand at Super Wal-Mart is perfect)

25% lard*

(posted in recipe forum)

and calculated it for 2 pounds (32 oz)

How much lye and water do I use?

Well I don't use that one too much. I usually use soapcalc. I'll go pop the figures into soapcalc and see what comes up, k? Just a sec ...

Edited to add:

According to soapcalc, your figures for a 2-lb. batch would be as follows...

12.16 OUNCES water, or 344.73 GRAMS

4.525 OUNCES lye, or 128.275 GRAMS

It gives you a range of 8-12 oz for water - beginners like me stick with the high end, and 4.51 oz of lye for a 5% superfat (which is the level I've heard most here)

I much prefer soapcalc.com, which recommends 12.16 oz water (344.73g) and 4.52 oz of lye (128,28g). A nice specific recommendation!

With the MMS calculator that you were using, you enter the no. of ounces you plan to use, not the %. So enter 8 oz. for the coconut, 8 oz. for the lard, and 16 oz. for the olive oil and you'll get the amount of water and lye.

Edited to add: Just plugged that recipe into MMS lye calc and came up with 4.5 oz. lye and 12 oz. (that's what I'd recommend) of water. HTH

Oops, sorry for the repeat. Going back and forth between the calcs and this forum slowed me down. LOL

One more ?

What is the difference between the three calculators on soapcalc.com? There is a soap calc 9, soap calc 9 wp, and soap calc 11. How do I know what one to use?

EDIT TO SAY: Never mind, I see that it is the # of oils you use. It helps if I read the site closer. lol.

Ok. *DEEEEEP BREATH* I am going to give this a whirl tomorrow while the kid is in school. Cross your fingers for me!

Nother ? : a pringles can IS 2 pounds, right? Just want to make sure before I try this. Anything I need to do to the can??

I plan on doing HP, because I lack the patience to wait for CP.

A pringles can holds a little less than 2# so have another container ready. I used those little disposable Glad containers, well oiled with mineral oil. But then again, I've only done it with CP, not sure how much volume you might lose to evaporation as you cook the HP...

If doing HP, ABSOLUTELY you must use the maximum amount of water. Wear your goggles while putting the soap into the can cause you'll want to slam it down a few times as you fill to get the bubbles out and the stuff can splatter. Even though with HP it's not supposed to be very "fresh" it wouldn't be fun to get it in your eyes (ask me how I know).