What were your first steps?

ashncandles

Max limit of shows in the state to get an idea if this was something worth it and then agonizing over a name that others liked and I didn't lol. Then looked into becoming a business in this state and got what was needed, complete with the tax ID and a crafter's show listing and the rest is sorta history. Somewhere in there was a business plan that badly needs redone.

Make sure you get insurance!!! In some states, it is hard to find candle insurance, so start checking into that.

As scented said... Check with your state for sales tax ID#, and think about what type of business you want to be..

LLC, DBA, Sole Prop... ect

Good Luck!!:cheesy2:

ETS.. Here is a link to help with insurance.....

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31852

I think it would be best if you decided how you want to sell your stuff. If you are going to make candles do you want to sell them wholesale or sell them at markets, craft shows or consignment. But most of all get insurance, your tax ID #, business license, a good accountant and a good support system. Good Luck!!!

Did a boatload of research, mostly online, then ordered supplies and began pouring/experimenting/testing. Asked questions when I needed a little more help. Had friends & family test-drive stuff. Gave some away. Sold some at farmer's market. Then did shows and such. Then got a website.