Shopping for a whole sale company.

soprey

Hi

I'm trying to find a whole sale company for candle making products and the ones i find on the web ask for a permit #, or sales tax number, and or to pay a fee. I'm i doing something wrong? Whats a remitance sales#? Do i need a state tax i.d if i only do a few shows per year. I thought that would classifiy as a concessioners form. I would appreciate any feedback. I don't know anyone personally that makes candles and does show to ask.

Thanks.:o

Most candle supply sites are wholesale. There are a few that will need a sale tax id, fed id, resale license or business license to get wholesale prices. They use this as proof that you are a legit business.

Plus keep in mind if you are looking for wholesale some businesses require a minimum.

Hope this helps.

Not sure about your state but here in MD you need a sales and tax license to sell at shows....I was told anything you make at home...even if its just a hobby....if you are going to sell it...you need tax numbers and I had to get a home business license....darn goverment has their hands out for everything...lol

Most places will ask you for your tax ID #'s so that they wont have to pay taxes on something your going to pay taxes on...think I said that right.

I am not sure what a concessioners form is but YEs, in the state of Michigan if you plan on selling anything to the final consumer you are supposed to collect sales tax and you aren't supposed to collect sales tax with out have a sales tax license.

It is free to get a sales tax license in Michigan:)

Thank-you for the info. I live in Michigan and have my first craft show in November. I have a business license and an IEN #. I went to http://michigan.gov for a 518 form for sales tax and it wanted me to fill out things i did not need to do. I looked threw all their forms and became completely confused. I do understand that if i do 3 or less show in a year i can fill out a concessionears(?spelled right)form to give Uncle Sam his money.

I called the federal bld in lansing to ask questions and i get please press # or an autimated voice. No actual human being. I guess i should go to one of those small business seminars.:wink2:

Hmmm Not sue what to tell you because it has been a few years since I filled out mine. If I am not mistaken I think that the form that I filled out was 4 or 5 pages but the total packet was more like 20.

Try emailing the Michigan Treasurery Department. Sometimes I find that to be much faster than calling.

Thanks everyone for your sujestions, On Monday I am giong to call on an accountant. A friend of mine who owns a massage therapy place says an accountant did all her stuff and when she went to sell beaded jewerly too that she makes; said she went to the chamber of comerence and paid a $1.00 for her tax license.:cool2:

I just got my sales tax ID so HTH - If you go to the michigan website and fill out the form online to get your sales tax id, you'll need to get a FEIN to do it online. When you get to the part where it says to check yes if your a new business to fill out the UIA form you need to actually click no (even though it says to click yes) - unless you DO have employees. On the next page you submit the application. I was confused on the UIA part of the application, and just called them last week. It only took 5 days to get my number after I submitted it online - if you do it by mail it takes longer. I believe the consessioners form is for people who sell at only 1 or 2 places a year.

ETA: I'm not an accountant, my sister is though, and all I did was follow her advice - you do need to consult one at some point, but probably not fill out your sales tax id form - its very simple. Good luck.

:yay: Than-you! for the advice. I did go to the michigan. gov online and started to fill out the forms and my mistake was i checked yes for the employee question, because i was my only employee and then it had me fill out all sorts of things and thats were i was confused. I think i'll go back to the site and fix it. I saved on the site. I do have my FIEN number. Thank-you for telling me your story. I know now to check no on the form.