Need Advice on this name...

kdmorgan

I don't sell candles yet (and won't for a while) but I want to make nice labels for them. I need to come up with a name before I can design the label though. I was thinking of...

Ashel-Jayko

Candle Company

I was hoping for some input. Is it catchy or goofy or just plain strange

:D

TIA,

Kim

It's actually just my four children's names put together. I pronounce it...

ash-el jay-ko(long a and o on the last part). Maybe I should give it more thought:D THanks for the input

I'm sorry, my brain isn't working yet...I guess it would be easier to tell you the kids' names. Ashlyn, Shelby, Jadyn & Kody (We call Jadyn Jay bird)

My mother named her shop SheBru for me and my brother. [ Sherolyn, Bruce], cousin has hers named DaMe [Daniell, Megan] so the idea is catchy. Gives you something to talk about at a show if you do them.

My thoughts on picking a name is I'd look at the type of product you want to make.. upscale, country, prim, north woods... and see if you can come up with a name that evokes that feeling. The name you came up with might fit the upscale theme.. but would be a bit off if you want a country look. Get an idea of what direction you want to go and the name will follow.

What about Ashby Jay & Co. I realize the "Co." is not correct for Kody, but the sound is the same, and I think it will be more memorable. I think your original name sounds kind of Indian, which is not associated with quailty products, but rather cheap imports.

Oooooh. I really like that!

Jay Ashby & Co.
I also like this name.

Are there any legal restrictions on using Co. in the above form if the business is unincorporated?

I know you can't legally use Jay Ashby Co. (or ,Inc.)without being incorporated. (Edited to change 'a company' to 'incorporated').

I also like this name.

Are there any legal restrictions on using Co. in the above form if the business is unincorporated?

I know you can't legally use Jay Ashby Co. (or ,Inc.)without being a company.

Your post confuses me a little bit. Are you trying to ask her if she is a legitimate business?

No, what she's saying is that some states (like mine) have restrictions on using any form of the word Company in your biz name if you are not an incorporated business. I am a DBA and can not use Co., Inc., Company, etc. in my biz name, unless I legally incorporate.

Thanks for all the input everyone...I really appreciate it. My favorite is Jay Ashby and Co. but my son was heartbroke when I ran it by the family. I thought maybe Jayko & Ashby Candle Company? If not I'll problably have to go a new route. I don't want any of the kids to feel left out.

No, what she's saying is that some states (like mine) have restrictions on using any form of the word Company in your biz name if you are not an incorporated business. I am a DBA and can not use Co., Inc., Company, etc. in my biz name, unless I legally incorporate.

Thanks Beth. This was exactly what I was wondering.

Sorry Sockmonkey. I should have used the term 'incorporated'. I edited my post with this change.