Silicone Candle Molds

quirky

I am learning more about silicone molds in my search for the best kind. My problem is there are just so many kinds! I don't want to waste a ton of money on junky molds if ya know what I mean. I would rather spend more and have a longer lasting mold than one that is just junky.

Here are the ones I have found.

Yellow

Purple

Light Blue

Pink

Mauve

White

If there is one I am missing, please let me know. If you prefer a certain color, let me know why :)

In my personal experience, the yellow are stronger and not quite as flexible. The purple is more flexible and makes an easier release. Personally, I prefer the purple one's, but I'm sure the yellow one's would last longer in the duration. Someone else with more experience will chime in. HTH Portia

Ok I got a yellow one that was a grubby mold and it was split and rubber bindered, is that normal? I would have to guess it is since they are not as flexible. Don't they tear after a few uses?

The purple ones, do they tend to tear or anything like that?

How long on average, or how many candles can you make with either of these kinds with each mold? I know to clean them well between each use but what else are you doing to ensure a long life from the mold please?

The color has nothing to do with what rubber molds are made of. They can add color to the rubber, just like we add color to our candles. Some change the color of the rubber so their molds don't look like their competition.

There are many different types of "rubber " out there silicone, urathanes etc. and each has it's on property and they come in different tear strengths (hardness). There are also different grades in rubber, some have a very short shelf life as a mold & some have a very long shelf life as a mold. Some rubbers are better for candles than others.

The best way to know if you are getting a quality rubber mold would be to see if they explain their mold on their web site or ask them. Ask them what kind of rubber do you use, what is the expected shelf life of the mold, is it a hard rubber or a soft rubber?

Here is a list of shelf life of some rubbers, once made into molds http://www.smooth-on.com/FAQ/mold%20life.htm

Wow, I certainly got quite the education today! Thanks SO much! :) I am off to check that link out now. It is just such a large investment that I want to be sure that my molds will not only last but I will be happy with them.

Thanks again!:D

Just a small personal note here. <---- Edited to say, I meant it to be a small note. :(

As stated, it is correct that the color means absolutely nothing.

ABC could use yellow and you think yellow is hard, I make molds here. I use blue and purple. WHY, cause I like both colors first of all and two.... I use two different but exteremely similar silicones. YOU would not be able to tell the difference between them it is so minor.

You need silicone molds and what you want to ask them is what their shore A hardness is, I am not gonna take the time to type a history hear to tell you about Shore A but it can range from 7 to above 50 or 60. For candle molds they should be no less than 7 and no more than 28-30.

Now you will ask, how do I know which one. That is what makes it tuff. Pending on the details in the molded piece is where the Shore A should be. Example a intricate bloomed rose with detailed waves in the pedals. Should be a Shore A 7-15 and a simple thing like a flat molded item...Example a mold of a cinnamon stick that can go as high as 28-30. Now mind you, the all could be molded in a 7 or 15 and even a 20....but they all can't be molded in a 28 or 30.

I know it all is confusing and this post is getting long but it is to much to explain. I researched it for 15 months before I bought my first molding products. I bought many many many products and let me tell you this stuff is NOT CHEAP AT ALL. Just for my testing of all the stuff before I actually made a decision and started really molding I spend over $2000.00!

Please don't anyone ask me what brand I use or where I get it from because that is one of those things I will not tell anyone. I spent to much time and money to get what I have, I don't think mold maker would. But as for my Shore A.... I use 7, 11 and 15 pending on the product. I have made molds for candles, concrete stepping stones, modeling clay, resin and even for Chocolate. I do make molds that are food safe but they are not something I do often, they are special orders....and have special requirements.

HTH, sorry for the long wind