How do i test burn a pillar ?

I decided to burn these pillars ( decor only) from walmart over the weekend. within just a few mins the wax was running over the side. so i know the wick had to be to big. so now i've remelted the wax and rewicked. use a mold from a container i had in kitchen, use cut coat hanger to make a place for wick to go later. but now i'm not sure other than the wax shouldn't spill over the side, how to burn them correct. the pillar is 3 1/2 wide, should it melt to edge by 3 hrs. like a container candle ? thanks

post-257-139458408853_thumb.jpg

I decided to burn these pillars ( decor only) from walmart over the weekend. within just a few mins the wax was running over the side. so i know the wick had to be to big. so now i've remelted the wax and rewicked. use a mold from a container i had in kitchen, use cut coat hanger to make a place for wick to go later. but now i'm not sure other than the wax shouldn't spill over the side, how to burn them correct. the pillar is 3 1/2 wide, should it melt to edge by 3 hrs. like a container candle ? thanks

Yes, for the proper wick size you should get a complete melt pool in 3-31/2 hours without a blow out or spilling down the side.

BTW - I make 3" pillers & if the scent is heavy I have to burn 4 hours to get a complete melt pool.

Thanks Candle man. Ginger i don't make nor know a lot about pillars but i have learnt more about them on the board here, enough to know they shouldn't spill over within a few mins. there was no chance at hugging them either, they were just 2 of the 3" ones, i lit them and about 20 mins they had spilled over the side.