Selling Candles at Garage Sales

gingerinarkansas

Definitely bring your items out (even if they aren't rejects!) - you can get some nice exposure that way with the community, but be prepared to hear things like

"I thought this was a garage sale"

"These aren't garage sale prices"

Just ignore them or politely say that you are trying to get some exposure with your new business. If they can't understand that and are still being buttheads, kick 'em off your property (LOL, I am just kiddin')

My opinion...bad deal. Its all about building brand...and perception. Why would you want to tear down what you are trying to build up?

I guess if you are really wanting to contribute to the sale or just eliminate stock.....you could take your label off and sell "generic" candles......unless you consider your product to be "garage sale" material. Doesn't "feel" good to me. Don't do it.

Major disagreement with that Michael, but I respect your opinion.

Just because someone buys things at a garage sale doesn't make it "less" of a product. My gosh, how many sales have you been to that has tons of Avon, Mary Kay, Guess jeans, Limited shirts, Sketchers, etc.

Good Lord, I just bought a Honda scooter at a garage sale a couple years ago. Did I think it was "less" of a product that if I would have gotten it at a dealer? No way.

To each his own, but I am comfortable enough with my products (and they are well known enough) to where I wouldn't feel any remorse about taking them out during my mom's or sister's garage sales.

I wouldn't - however - bring out anything that wasn't "up to par" to represent my company.

Major disagreement with that Michael, but I respect your opinion.

Just because someone buys things at a garage sale doesn't make it "less" of a product. My gosh, how many sales have you been to that has tons of Avon, Mary Kay, Guess jeans, Limited shirts, Sketchers, etc.

Good Lord, I just bought a Honda scooter at a garage sale a couple years ago. Did I think it was "less" of a product that if I would have gotten it at a dealer? No way.

To each his own, but I am comfortable enough with my products (and they are well known enough) to where I wouldn't feel any remorse about taking them out during my mom's or sister's garage sales.

I wouldn't - however - bring out anything that wasn't "up to par" to represent my company.

I agree. I dont sell my "rejects" they are mine and usually reserved for personal use.

I wouldnt have half the neighborhood business I have if it weren't for garage selling. I saw it as an advertising opportunity as well.. and it worked! Hasn'r hurt my busniess, quite the opposite.

This is a tough one. I personally would only do it if it was very clear that I was using the opportunity to get my candles seen, and not a yard sale because they were left overs or "rejects." I'm not a yard saler, so I may be out of my element here. Hell, I can't even do thrift shops.

This is a hard one. I can see both opinions. When I said rejects...I meant things that weren't selling or even votives that wasn't anything that I wanted to carry. Nothing that is crap. I'll keep thinking about this one. I don't do garage sales myself...but I love thrift stores!! Thanks for everyones opinion. Ginger

I have to disagree with Michael too. Why does a garage sale bring down the quality of your candle? How is that any different from an outdoor, unjuried craft show?

One of my wholesalers sells my candles and some of his products (he does SMC), at his garage sales. They actually do really well. They actually have people ask when they are having another one. They aren't selling junk @ their sales, so maybe that has something to do with it. But I think the integrity and quality of your product have nothing to do with where you sell. I know people who sell candles @ gas stations. To me my clientel is anyone who is willing to enjoy a good product.

Oh BTW they sell the candle @ above retail. HTH

I am going to have to agree with Michael AND Kristine. I don't see anything wrong with selling your products at a garage sale. It's a good way to get your product out there and if people like it, the power of word of mouth is priceless.

This is where I agree with Michael, If you are going to display your product make sure it's your highest quality products not your rejects. Your name is on the label and you don't want anyone walking away thinking you offer anything less than the best.

This is a hard one. I can see both opinions. When I said rejects...I meant things that weren't selling or even votives that wasn't anything that I wanted to carry. Nothing that is crap. I'll keep thinking about this one. I don't do garage sales myself...but I love thrift stores!! Thanks for everyones opinion. Ginger

Didn't see this (it's been a LONG Monday). If they are good candles maybe you could put a little sign out that says "discontinued scents" and business cards next to it.

See, now I totally agree with Michael, and I loves me a good yard sale.

I can't see myself doing it with my own products. My personal vision for my little company doesn't fit with the yard/garage sale thing. I'm all about thinking out of the box, so if it works for you, and it's something you think would work for your business I'd say go for it.