Master Batch Lye?

Grumpy Girl

Very carefully?

Really, it might be hard to make it exactly a gallon (which weighs about 8#) since if you start with a gallon of water and add the lye you end up with a bit more than a gallon... But just make up the same way you always do - just a lot more! If you have a gallon container I'd say start with maybe 5# of solution since I'm not sure how much room it will take up.

okay -

for each 100 grams of solution you would have 28.7 grams of lye and 71.3 grams of water (easier to do grams when working with %)

so for say 500 grams (about a pound, a bit over) - you would have 5 X 28.7 = 143.5 grams of lye and then 356.5 grams of water.

and for say 5#ish you would want 143.5 X 5 = 717.5 grams of lye and 1782.5 grams of water = 2500 grams solution ~ 5.5 pounds which should fit into a gallon container with room to spare

I'm having a mental block of the how's and why's to master batch my lye solution. My solution is (according to soapmaker) 28.7% with my master recipe. How the hell do I mix up a gallon of lye solution? Someone tried to explain it to me once, but I've forgotten it.

Yeah, I forgot too. I will master batch the oils, but I do the lye a day ahead.

Yup, I master batch the oils too... but do the lye 6 batches at a time in separate containers and it SUCKS.

I know you can't get a gallon exactly, but I meant any large amount I can store and use. I guess I shouldn't have been that specific. And, yes... I'm still confused.

So let me see if I have this correct e... I can mix up 128 ounce of water with 51.5 ounce of lye (or whatever amount using the calc.) and be able to use the standard water amount in my base recipe? If it's calling for 12.80 ounces of water and so much lye, I can just use the premix?

I'm having a real blonde moment with this for some reason.

So let me see if I have this correct e... I can mix up 128 ounce of water with 51.5 ounce of lye (or whatever amount using the calc.) and be able to use the standard water amount in my base recipe? If it's calling for 12.80 ounces of water and so much lye, I can just use the premix?

I'm having a real blonde moment with this for some reason.

I'm with you! I master batch my oils, which I love but I jast can't get the lye thing. It seems to me that the 12.8 in your example would be correct but I could certainly be wrong!

PS. LOVE your itty, bitty candle!! :highfive: I haven't burned it yet but I'll let you know when I do. The cold throw is great and it's so cute!Thanks!!

Yes, if you set the lye calc for your recipe to that % of lye solution. :smiley2:

Grumpy if I recall correctly you use SoapMaster. If so, another option:

You can make up a 50/50 solution with lye (so it will be 1:1 or 50%) and put that into the SoapMaster. It will tell you then how much extra water to add for your particular "water discount".

First, make up your solution (let's say 50% lye as above). In SoapMaster in the bottom left you click "pre-mixed" and then enter 1:1 at Lye:Water ratio just below that. To the right in the Water box you put in your favorite/typical water discount and it will tell you how much additional water to use, along with your premade solution, to get to that.

BTW, when I add water to the pre-made sol'n it heats up pretty hot, so I"ve been putting the extra water into the oils and SBing before adding the pre-made lye sol'n. Not sure that's kosher, but it's what I've done lately.

Interesting. I do MB my oils (hate doing it, but does make the process smoother) and probably would do the lye, too, if I had a separate shed or something for my soaping. I'm too nervous to leave it in the house mixed and ready. It would be nice, though.