Bath Salts Question ...

savedbygrace06

Oh, okay. Sorry, I didn't know that. I'm very new here. :o

Hope you found your answers. I'm excited to start this new venture. I've been candle making for over three years and have told myself that I'm going to get into doing bath and body for the last two years. And now I can say that I've finally crossed that bridge ... :wink2:

I ordered some supplies and can't wait to get started. I wish you well in your endeavor as well!

I don't have any advice as far as pricing goes, since I'm new to salts myself, but I can tell you that I experimented with a variety of salts--Epsom, dead sea (medium and fine grains), solar salt, and some others, and all but the Epsom were hard to dissolve, so I'm simply using Epsom salts. Nothing could be more simple than making salts.

Do you mind me asking where you bought your salt?

Oh, I was going to use plain old Epsom salts myself and buy them the drug store. I was looking at all the different salts but figured I go with the easiest (and cheapest :D ) way that I could for now since I'm just starting out. I also see that some salt recipes call for glycerin in the mix as well. And how about fragrance? Wondering if it's better to go with Essential Oils for these or is fragrance oil fine to use. Like I said, I make soy candles too so I would like to just use the same fragrance oils that I am using for those and my lotions. EO's are probably the better way to go for the B&B but I hate to buy two types of oils of the same scent. Seems like a waste. What do you think?

I'm thinking about putting the finished product in pint mason jars with some homespun on the lids or something like that. I'm not sure on pricing either. Have to figure out what it costs me to make all of them when I get them done and take it from there.

Two things.. You sure can use straight epsom.. But, it's going to look like epsom. Epsom salts have smooth edges, and most other salts used for the tub are crystal lookin. I would use a portion of epsom to help keep costs down, in a blend with other ones. Do a search for solar salts here on the board, and you'll find the stuff you can buy in the store for cheap cheap cheap.

Finished product - glass in the tub. As pretty as it'll look, ask yourself if you really want to go there.

And most importantly, welcome to CT!

...Wondering if it's better to go with Essential Oils for these or is fragrance oil fine to use. Like I said, I make soy candles too so I would like to just use the same fragrance oils that I am using for those and my lotions. EO's are probably the better way to go for the B&B but I hate to buy two types of oils of the same scent. Seems like a waste. What do you think?...

Not all fragrance oils are cosmetic safe. Make sure you double check all your oils. Essential oils can also not be safe, even diluted in water. Make sure you read up on which ones you want to use, and which are considered safe. http://www.ifraorg.org/GuideLines.asp has the guidelines for what elements are restricted. You mostly need to care when you're using EOs - FOs that are cosmetic safe already should conform to the guidelines.

Glycerin adds sheen to the crystals. I wouldn't use it with epsom salt. It's might be fine for larger grain salts, but I think it's unnecessary for what you're using.

I would like to use essential oils in my products, but frankly, I just don't care for the way they smell, plus most of them are quite costly compared to fragrance oils. There are some good blends--part synthetic fragrance and part essential oil that have nice fragrance and are not as pricey.

By the way, Walgreens just happens to have epsom salt on sale this week.

I don't have any advice as far as pricing goes, since I'm new to salts myself, but I can tell you that I experimented with a variety of salts--Epsom, dead sea (medium and fine grains), solar salt, and some others, and all but the Epsom were hard to dissolve, so I'm simply using Epsom salts. Nothing could be more simple than making salts.

I give my sea salts a ride in the food processor, that helps grind them up so they dissolve better. :)