Cocoa Butter Lotion Bar

wildangel112

I had a request for a pure cocoa butter bar in the lotion bar tubes and was wondering if anyone had ever tried this before. This would be pure cocoa butter, no other additives, as she put it. It got me wondering because I have no intention of pouring up one little tube, but if it's something that may go over, I can do up a batch for our upcoming show. Thanks for any and all input. :)

I saw something like that at the Body Shop and was thinking about trying it out myself, but just haven't gotten around to it. I just checked the website and it isn't straight CCB - the ingredient list is:

Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Cyclomethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Butter, Copernica Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Fragrance, Tocopherol, Limonene.

But they call it a Cocoa butter moisturizing stick...perhaps this is what she is thinking of?

I have used one of these sticks before. (I have never made them) They are 100% cocoa butter.

You just rub it across your skin in the tube and it melts just like body butter.

I make what I call "stick of butter" but the only difference is that I mix butters, oils and wax. I put them in the small 1oz tubs and they sale pretty good.

Hope this helps.

My first thought (which isn't always the best, lol) is...why would she want you to re-invent the wheel so to speak? What I mean by that is, the 100% cocoa butter sticks are sold hand-over-fist at the dollar stores for $1 per tube and they're exactly as she described. I would think that making them yourself on a small scale would mean you'd have to charge more than the dollar store in order to make it worth your while, right? It's a fantastic product and there are lots of people that swear by them, but it might be a little hard to sell if there's no difference in quality (cuz you can't really get any better than 100%), yet a difference in price. Kwim?

Not trying to discourage you at all, so don't let me, lol. Just sorta thinking out loud. If it were me, I'd steer her towards the sticks at the dollar store. THEN I'd make up a BETTER cocoa butter stick like AJ suggested (mixed with other oils & such) and say "If you liked that, you're gonna LOVE this!" and let her feel the difference for herself. The 100% cocoa butter sticks are hard and somewhat crumbly, yet people put up with that in order to get that terrific moisturizing effect. If you harness that quality of cocoa butter, but blend it with other oils to improve the glide and intensify the moisturizing, you will have given her the best of both worlds. Just my two cents (& sorry for rambling). :wink2:

Good luck either way that you decide to go!

i have made them in the lotion stick. no signs of brittleness and it works great.

my dollar store doesn't carry them (yet) and the wal-mart at one time or another use to have the Palmer's one. either they sell out quickly or no longer carry them b/c i have not seen them the last few time i have been.

The Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula Swivel Stick actuall contains:

Cocoa (theobroma cacao) Extract, Mineral (Paraffinum Liquidum) Oil, Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcrystallina), Cocoa (theobroma cacao) Butter, Tocopheryl Acetate Vitamin E, Fragrance, Carotene (CI 40800)

Yep, I've seen the Palmer's version too, but it's more like what AJ and mbrown were talking about (not 100% cocoa butter) and it probably is nowhere near as brittle. The actual 100% cocoa butter sticks come in two different brand names around here and both are sold for $1.00 each stick. Both are hard as rocks (but melt on contact). Here's a pic that might help some of you spot them in a store near you:

[ATTACH]8154[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps!

post-1817-139458408456_thumb.jpg