Burnt Orange Pumpkin color

Cissy

I have red, yellow, and brown dyes. What ratio (how many drops per lb.) would give me a burnt orange pumpkin color. I tried this once and added to much red. It looked OK when I dropped some on waxpaper to cool, but not after the finished candle. I need to make up candles this week and won't get my order of orange in time. Your help will be appreciated.

I would suggest = parts red & yellow for the orange then add the brown till you get the shade you like.

I have found that drops of colored wax will not give you a true finished color.

Here is what I do so I know what the finished color will look like...

If it's a container wax I pour into a glass votive holder then put in fridge to cool faster.

If it's a votive/pillar wax I pour into a metal tart mold then put in fridge to cool faster.

With this method you can see your end results and add more dye if you need to, then repeat color test.

BTW - I add FO in the wax too, so that you get the color you want of that scent. Some scents, according to their color will add to the color of the candle. Example - if you want a blue colored candle and your FO is to yellow the candle will be green.

HTH - Candle Man

To test my candle color, I am much less scientific - the only thing that works for me is to fully mix in my dye, and then take a spoonful and slowly drip it back into my presto pot - when you have just a little bit left on your spoon, that will be the color of your candle. I know, I sound insane, but it's the quickest, most accurate way for me to test. I haven't been off on my color yet...HTH

Equal parts red and yellow. Depending on the orange you get, I'm gonna say about 2-3 drops brown to start. Add a drop at a time after that. And I wouldn't rush this at all.

Spoon out some wax, pour it on something or let it set in the pot till it films over. You're gonna know as soon as a skin forms if it's going to match the color you want.

Thanks everyone. I will experiment more. You gave me a better idea of the ratios I need to keep mine from being too red (as it was on the lst batch). I know it saves money to mix your colors so you don't have to order so many different colors to get the desired effect. I was just running out of time this week.

BTW - I add FO in the wax too, so that you get the color you want of that scent. Some scents, according to their color will add to the color of the candle. Example - if you want a blue colored candle and your FO is to yellow the candle will be green.

done that before..lol

I do test on a tin pie plate but I put a BIG drop on it ..with Fo added in as well..so I can see what it will look like..those little drops....it always seems a bit darker in the jar as well..when it is over a larger area.:wink2:

Cierra Candle has a color mixing pie chart on their site for reference..I have one in my Candle Book :smiley2:

http://www.cierracandles.com/colorwheel.aspx