Starting a new business.

kyle

Would like all your opinions on starting a candle biz. Do you think with the economy and prices going up. In this climate?

Should I start a new biz or wait?

My opinion is with prices going up. May lessen competition and sharpen evryones skills to watch the bottom line!

Thankyou Kyle

It takes a lot to get a business off the ground. If you're looking to do it on your own, do some researching in the old archives. If I were you, don't assume that making a candle is just putting a wick in some wax and adding FO. There's that thing called investing in testing. Check out the costs to start up a business in your area, find insurance etc., a business plan, a marketing campaign for your product etc. Many people have different approaches and you'll need to find one something that suits you, dedicate a lot of time and hard work to it and don't come on the market with an inferior product, cuz you won't be in business long.

I agree with Scented & Mountainmadness, you have to love what you do and also do your homework. Researching and testing is very time consuming and can be expensive. It can also be frustrating but, this board has a wealth of information for you to use to get started.:cheesy2:

Im sorry. I did not explain. I have been making candles for 3 years and soap also. I loveeeeeeee making candles lol.

I want opinions on the business side. for example. Are raw material prices going thru the ceiling?

Thankyou for your opinions.

Kyle

Are raw material prices going to go up? Most likely IMO. As the price of oil goes up, then anything with oil as a component will go up too. Plus shipping costs are sure to go up as well. This will effect raw material prices too. Is this a bad time to get into the candle business? I don't think so. Here's my reasoning: When the economy is bad, and the cost everything goes up, people tend to spend more on affordable luxuries - No, I can't afford to add that room on my house, but I can afford to get some scented candles for my living room, and some pampering bath items. JMO.

-Margie