2nd burn dies out!

Ok...I'm really starting to get frustrated...why do my candles die half way down. It seems that the first burn is really nice...then when I go for the second burn it starts to die and tunnel. Using Eco Advanced with HTP's 1212 and HTP 104 for a 3-3.5 diamiter. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated....:embarasse

Hi,

I have not worked with the Eco Advanced. I double wick with the CB-3 Calsoy. I mainly use two RRD 37's or 40's -- mostly 40's in the 12 oz. frosted apothecary jars w/ 8-9 percent FO. I can also use Hemp wicks (Lg. and Lg. +). However, every wax can be different so what works for me may not work for you. It does appear though that you need to wick up. I have not worked a lot with the HTP wicks so not sure which size to suggest. I would try another size up and see what happens (if there is a size up from the largest one you metioned) or try to double wick with the HTP's or try different wicks. HTH :)

Hi there-

I have been having a similar problem, however, it seems mine will burn really well for the first 2-3 hours, great pool and throw and then when it hits that 2-3 hour mark (using 8oz square mason and KY125 and CD wicks) the melt pool will start to decrease and flame weakens. I have that happen now on 3 different test candles. It just seems odd that it would burn so well to begin with. I am afraid if I wick up I am going to have too quick or too hot of a burn.....I did not trim the wicks at all during the burns on any of these....I burned each one several times to see if it was a fluke or not---it happened each time....

Thanks for any words of wisdom out there.

Tracey

Tracey, pour some testers and wick up on them to see how that goes. Square jars and soy can be a bear to wick. You picked a difficult jar to wick but there are those that have successfully wicked that jar. You can always change jars types if you can't get the wicking down.

Thanks Meridith-

it seems I have a knack for choosing the difficult ones-I also use the 9oz hex jars. I haven't had this happen much-rarely, but to have these few at once. Usually, for me, if the wicking is off, I know fairly quickly as most of the burn will be crappy....I'll try bumping up the wicking to see. Of course I could cut back on FO too and see if that helps the burn--of course I don't want to lose throw either.....I have quite a few scents that I have had no trouble wicking in those jars.....just keep on a going and they'll get there...

Thanks again.

Tracey

Thanks everyone for your suggestions...this can be very frustrating at times. I did wick up and then my candle was burning way to fast...I'm using a 10oz bulb so I don't know, maybe it is the shape...who knows...will keep trying.

Luci...how do you like using the Eco Advanced...how is the scent throw working for you. I love this wax but I'm trying to get a better scent throw out of it.

I just got a small amount from the classies here. So far, I've only burned Peak's Amish Harvest and Streudel and Spice. I got a decent scent throw from both. AH was better than S&S. If I don't lose power, I'm going to pour Sugar Cookie later.

I just got a small amount from the classies here. So far, I've only burned Peak's Amish Harvest and Streudel and Spice. I got a decent scent throw from both. AH was better than S&S. If I don't lose power, I'm going to pour Sugar Cookie later.

Ahh...you must be expecting Ernesto...he just left me front door yesterday...turned out to be a dud for us so I hope the same for you. Keep me updated on your Eco Advanced experience...I really want to use this as my main wax if I can work the scent kinks out of it.

Yes, should be here in about 3 hrs. I already have water in the yard from the rain bands and wind. We're expecting a direct hit here on the bay. The little bastard gained strength once it left Florida!

I meant to comment that the first couple of candles I poured with this wax had very little wet spots. However, I poured 2 more a couple of days ago, and the wet spot problem is awful. I keep hitting them with a heat gun, and I feel like I'm working with gel the bubbles are so bad. They still have a bad problem and will need more or they will also become part of my "ugly" collection. Have you had this problem? If so, what are you doing about it?

Yes, should be here in about 3 hrs. I already have water in the yard from the rain bands and wind. We're expecting a direct hit here on the bay. The little bastard gained strength once it left Florida!

I meant to comment that the first couple of candles I poured with this wax had very little wet spots. However, I poured 2 more a couple of days ago, and the wet spot problem is awful. I keep hitting them with a heat gun, and I feel like I'm working with gel the bubbles are so bad. They still have a bad problem and will need more or they will also become part of my "ugly" collection. Have you had this problem? If so, what are you doing about it?

Yikes...he sure is a persistant storm...hope it is not bad for you! :shocked2:

As far as the Eco Advanced is concerned I have not had a problem yet with wet spots, frost or craters that is why I want to use this wax, it seems to make a very pretty candle. I heat it 175 add color and FO and I dropped my pour temp from 130 to 115 and have not had any cosmetic problems. I am having a heck of a time wicking this wax...can't seem to get it right! :tongue2:

I think I may have poured that last batch too hot. I was in a hurry! Sure paying for it now with the uglies. I did them in a cinnamon red, so it's really noticeable.

Yes, Ernesto is really getting cranked up out there now. I'm trying to do everything I HAVE to have power for right now. Believe it or not, there are some young guys out there surfing! My husband has to stay at the mill powerhouse for any emergencies, so at least he's not here bugging me! I don't mind staying home--got plenty to work with--but I don't like the fact that the high water prevents me from getting out. The gators crawl out of the marsh into the yards when it gets like this, and I don't care for them!

Try using RRD34's....sounds to us like your wicks are choking on FO. Also suggest you double wick for 3-1/2" or larger.

Thanks Creekside... I never tried RRD's I'm going to order them today and see if they will make a difference...for some reason Candlescience did not recomend them for Ecosoy Advanced.:tongue2:

Luci...keep us posted on how you are making out with the storm...I certainly know what you are going through having been through 5 hurricanes in the last few years. It sounds like you are right on the water...I'm about 8 miles inland. :wink2:

Thanks Meridith-

it seems I have a knack for choosing the difficult ones-I also use the 9oz hex jars. I haven't had this happen much-rarely, but to have these few at once. Usually, for me, if the wicking is off, I know fairly quickly as most of the burn will be crappy....I'll try bumping up the wicking to see. Of course I could cut back on FO too and see if that helps the burn--of course I don't want to lose throw either.....I have quite a few scents that I have had no trouble wicking in those jars.....just keep on a going and they'll get there...

Thanks again.

Tracey

If wicking up and/or reducing the FO percentage does not work, try another type of wick all together. Sometimes a change in wick types is all that is needed.

Thanks Meredith-

I am going to pour up some new ones this weekend and hopefully I'll get this thing figured out. It's just weird how that happened with those. I do have other types of wicks at home so that's an option too......

Thanks again

Tracey

Hi everyone, I just spoke to Dan today at Natures Gifts Inc...and he also suggested trying the RRD's and CD's he also said no core wicks for this wax and it could also be that the FO may not be compatable with my current wick which he said I needed to wick down. So just wanted to pass along some helpful info and I will be trying some different wicks as soon as I get them. HTH :wink2: