What is most important to know when making 'tarts'?

I soooo don't want to venture into making candles, I've even offered some exchanges on here for candles for some of my soap, but have had nobody accept that offer! LOL. I want to give more than just soap out at Christmas and I figured making candle tarts would be wayyyy easier than actually making candles. What are the things I need to know? I can get wax, and have a zillion FO's. So here's what I would think........you get your wax up to a certain temp, add your FO at a particular temp, and let it cool to a certain temp before putting them in their little pots or containers so the plastic doesn't melt. *I'm using little plastic 1 or 2 oz cups*......... Well how'd I do? :tongue2:

Sounds like you've got it! Tarts are fairly easy. Besides B&B, that's all I do. I don't have the patience for all that testing with wicks! LOL Anyway- here is what I do for tarts.

I melt my wax in my presto to 200. I then pour it out of the presto into my pouring pot and then pour it into a pyrex that's on my scale (with the FO and color already in it) and weigh out what I need. By the time it gets to the pyrex on the scale it's at about 175. I stir until it's mixed and then pour. I use mini muffin tins, plastic candy molds and clamshells and have never had problems with warped or melted plastic from the temp at which I pour- you might need to play around with pouring temp based on your wax and what you're pouring into- but that's what works for me. They're easy- I love doing them!

First you want to make sure that you've got a wax that throws scent well. Not all waxes are created equal. I can tell you what I use, but of course it would be up to you and what you have for suppliers in your area. Everyone has their own little formulas that they like to use. I like to use either a 60/40 or 50/50 combo of OK6228 (preblend pillar wax) and J223 or J50 (container wax). I've found this combo to produce nice strong tarts at 1 oz of fragrance oil per 12 oz of wax. I like to make a dozen at a time in a standard metal tart mold. I melt the wax at 200 and add the dye of my choice. Then pour into my pour pot and let cool down to 175 and add my fragrance oil. At 150 degrees I pour my tarts. Pouring my tarts at this temperature will give me nice smooth tops. If I pour hotter, I get a slight dip in the center that I don't care for. I let them cure for a day or two, then into my tart burner they go for many hours of lovely scent. :smiley2:

I'm currently using Ecosoya PB for my tarts. I heat the wax to 170 then add fo at 1 1/2 oz per # wax & stir well. Cool to 100 or a little lower & pour into flexible rubber ice cube trays for mini tarts & plastic moulds for larger heart tarts. The ice cube trays are great so far I've got mini hearts, shells, fish, penguins & stars & I'm looking out for others with a more christmassy theme.

Once the wax has set up enough I pop the tray in the fridge to finish cooling & it helps the tarts release really easily. I don't normally colour my soy but I'm considering it. I'll be adding my tarts to candles & a friends gorgeous b&b in my christmas gift baskets.

I love making tarts, they're very satisfying cos they always work!

Sally.