Starting a candle business

Lime

Have you even started making candles?It was almost a year before I sold but did give some and sold some to friends before that.They were testers.One lady brought a few and then wanted 15 more for a family reunion.So I knew then they must be good.After that she got 60 more.This was within 5 months of me making candles.Still though I do not really have a big business going.Website and craft shows are it.Did a couple weddings and doing another next year.Going to start advertising that.Hope for more business then.

LynnS

Well, ok I'll take a stab at this before everyone gets riled. :-)

First and foremost...Research. Research EVERYTHING...waxes, wicks, fo's, jars, labels, insurance (very important!), and the laws of your state pertaining to business. That sounds like a lot and it IS, but it's a must before ever opening up shop and selling something to the public. Too many risks to name if you were to go about it otherwise.

When you *think* you're finished researching, research some more. Seriously. I'm not being a smart-a. There's a whole lot more to selling candles than just mixing up a little wax, color & fo and pouring it in a jar. Safety is crucial! :-)

After the researching stage, you must TEST. Test for burn times, scent throws, melt pools, ... everything. Take notes of every test candle you burn and learn from your mistakes. There WILL be mistakes, which is what makes testing so important. You want the mistakes to happen BEFORE you sell to someone who could wind up injured and sue you.

This forum is a wealth of information for you to use in your research, should you choose to do so. Use the search button at the top and type in almost anything and you'll more than likely find what you're looking for. Everyone here who sells candles has spent a LOT of time researching and testing. There's no shortcut around it, so there's no answer that will speed things along for you in that respect.

Please do NOT jump in and sell an unsafe candle that hasn't been thoroughly tested. There are people that do that, and when accidents happen due to their inexperience, it makes ALL homemade candles appear unsafe and ALL chandlers appear inexperienced. I hope this gives you enough information to get started with your research. Enjoy!

If you are not wanting to make your own candle and truthfully you will make more money faster if you don't we have a large group here that will sell to you wholesale. Honestly let us know what you are wanting to do.

Do you have time and money to research and test your products if not buying and reselling may be the way to go.

Lime....there is a lot of good advice here, take time to search this forum you will find so much knowlege...it is priceless. I'm new at this also and I have spent a small fortune so far trying to figure out how to make a freaking 10oz bulb jar look pretty and smell good in soy wax and still after 6 weeks on this one jar I do not have it the way I want. So patience and persistence are good attributes to have. I noticed you were from Singapore...how are the suppliers over there? :smiley2: