Kiosk Help - Bruce are you out there?

summerbug

I saw a few postings on kiosk that mentioned Bruce's name as a resource. I am considering this for the holiday season but am interested in how well others have done with them - are they really worth it?

I don't have a store now so I guess I would have to hire people and that means I need to have social security, taxes, etc. set up to take out of their checks? And insurance probably needs to be doubled? Sorry I'm "typing" out loud :grin2:

Any comments or help is greatly appreciated.

I saw a few postings on kiosk that mentioned Bruce's name as a resource. I am considering this for the holiday season but am interested in how well others have done with them - are they really worth it?

I don't have a store now so I guess I would have to hire people and that means I need to have social security, taxes, etc. set up to take out of their checks? And insurance probably needs to be doubled? Sorry I'm "typing" out loud :grin2:

Any comments or help is greatly appreciated.

Don't know if I would do it if I had to hire someone to sell them for me. The candle maker is the only true person that customers like to buy from. I have had people help me out for a few hours and they take it in trade (candles lol). I don't want to get into the tax crap that comes along with hiring so I try to avoid it. 2 Million dollars worth of insurance is the standard required now based on the shows I have been at. The first year you do the malls, it can be hard since the customers have to get to know you. You have to man your kiosk open to close every day and if you open your store late, be ready for a fine of up to $500.00. Its worth it if you man your booth and put in the long hours required. Bruce

I would stay far, far away from the mall.

Couple of reasons:

(in my experience with OUR mall only)

*80 hours a week have to be scheduled & worked by you or an employee

*The mall makes you sign a 3 month lease (that is the shortest time here)

*The mall charges you rent AND takes a % of your sales

*The mall makes you buy extra insurance

*The mall tells you what you can and can't sell (if they don't like it, you can't sell it)

*The mall is not always guaranteed to be busy (well around the holidays it does ok)

*Not only do you have to pay your employees, but you get a nice little bill about 4 months after the holiday season for taxes based on who you paid and what they had taken out of their check (usually it is double)

When I did my figures for my mall, I would have to clear approximately $8500.00 a month to make an actual profit. Please remember that I consider profit to be after everyone is paid, all the insurance, etc.

$8500 a month was roughly $283.33 a day that HAD to come in for me to make any money.

I used to work in the mall at a Hot Sam's pretzel place. On hopping days we would make $500.00, but during the holidays it would double, but that is food.

In my opinion (and in our mall), it just doesn't seem worth the trouble for three months. I would have to clear almost $30,000 in those months and depending which months I chose - that can really be a stinker!

I would rather pass my business card out and leave brochures and fliers around places I knew people would be looking for Christmas gifts.