Hard to mix fo's

I know that some fo's are hard to mix but how long does it realistically take to mix in (I know, how long is a piece of string)? I have stirred vanilla fo for over 5 mins and it still seems to sit on the bottom of the pot, also the wax temp has dropped considerably in that time if taken off the heat. What's worse - to keep stirring while wax is heating or to take it off the heat but then reheat when fo finally mixes (if at all :cry2:)?

With vanillas, sugar cookies, etc, I always heat the FO. (Place whatever it is you measure your FO into in some warm water. Just be careful not to get any water in your FO.) Also, I add these FO's to my wax at higher temps, usually around 185. I never have a problem with them mixing.

You may also try mixing them with a whisk.

I know that some fo's are hard to mix but how long does it realistically take to mix in (I know, how long is a piece of string)? I have stirred vanilla fo for over 5 mins and it still seems to sit on the bottom of the pot, also the wax temp has dropped considerably in that time if taken off the heat. What's worse - to keep stirring while wax is heating or to take it off the heat but then reheat when fo finally mixes (if at all :cry2:)?
Dear Mozzie,

Keep it on the heat and stir stir stir for approximately the length of a piece of string. It will mix in its own sweet time but it will mix. Stir normally and don't whip air into the wax - it won't help.

If you absolutely had to stir without heating then I suppose there would be a benefit to heating the FO but personally I don't see the necesssity.

Also, you might as well adjust the heat to stabilize it at pour temperature while you're at it. If you're double boiling, a good use for the glass type thermometer is to put it in the water. It can be useful to know the water temp in a case like this, because you can turn down the heat to get everything to the right temp while you're stirring your vanilla.

The first time I stirred my vanilla it was kind of discouraging but I've since learned to enjoy it.

Stir normally and don't whip air into the wax - it won't help.

Are you sure about that? It certainly helped me vent my frustration although I will admit to not seeing any difference in the mixture. LOL :D I've just bought myself a portable hot plate so will be better able to control the temp. of my wax while I'm mixing which has got to be a good thing. The reason I took it off the heat before was because I was stirring over boiling water and getting very hot hands (my pour pot was sitting in an electric fry pan). Just talking about it with others and getting suggestions (and hope) is definitely giving me the strength to give it another go. :laugh2: Thanks for all your help and encouragement.

Hot wax dissolves air very easily, which is not a good thing. For this reason I disapprove of suggestions to use a wire whisk. The whisk doesn't push the wax around as effectively as a spoon - it simply doesn't mix as well. The only thing it works better for is whipping, which is a no-no.

As a first step before doing anything else, some people even like to "cook" the wax for 1 hour at 190 or higher to reduce air and moisture. You don't need to do this, but at least avoid putting it in.

Good luck and enjoy your new equipment!