Can someone please tell me what happened to this batch of M&P Soap?

liljean

Hi,

I am new to soaping. I am dying to make cold process soap, but I am scared to death to work with lye. :( So, I started making M&P soap. When I first started making it - I just melted it, added FO, and poured it into molds. Now, I am adding color (still trying to get that down pat) and additives for exfoliation, etc.

So, last night I was reading the posts here and I found this recipe for a Butter Bar:

Butter Bar

4oz. rectangular soap mold

4oz. white coconut oil soap base

1 Tbsp. shea butter

1Tbsp cocoa butter

10 drops buttery maple fragrance oil (vanilla or cocnut or fragrance of cho

3 drops yellow colorant

Ooooooo I couldn't wait to make it!! I made it today and the bottom (top of mold) it wouldn't set up in the mold. It was like really oily and clumpy. There were beads of oil that wouldn't blend in the soap!! I took it out of the mold and it was a mushy, greasy mess. I added more white soap base, and remelted and repoured and skimmed the oil off the top while still in the double boiler...but I didn't get all of the oil out and it is setting up better now but it still looks funky.

Why would this happen? Could it be because I didn't use a coconut oil white base and I just used a regular white base? I followed the recipe to the letter. :(

Confused and Learning. :) Thank You for any help you can offer as to what happened to my batch of soap. :)

yep I think it was waaaayyy too much additive for only 4 oz of soap. The general rule of thumb is usually 1 TBSP of oil or butter per POUND of soap. I've never had any problem using those amounts. Keep that in mind for future reference, and I think you'll be pleased with the results.

I'm new to M & P soap making, too, and I've been doing tons of reading over the past weeks. :tongue2: I'm so glad you brought this question up, because today I was going to bite the bullet and make just a single bar of soap to start with instead of a pound, and I wanted to make sure I got all the percentages of my added ingredients within the right ballpark, so to speak.

After reading this post, I went ahead and did a lot of math equations based on the rule of thumb of how much stuff to add to a one pound batch of M & P and then I whittled it down to how much that would equal to if I just wanted to do a single bar, and then I fine-tuned it down to the individual sizes of each of my molds. My husband, the math wiz, is not available at the moment to check my equations, so if these are off the mark somewhere, maybe someone here can chime in and correct me, but here is what I came up with for doing just an individual bar of soap: This is based on some measurements I got from WSP which say the following:

1% in 16 oz = .16 oz = 5 mL by dropper = 1 tsp.

2% in 16 oz = .32 oz = 10 mL by dropper = 2 tsp.

3% in 16 oz = 1/2 oz = 15 mL by dropper = 3 tsp = 1 tbsp

6 % in 16 oz = 1 oz = 30 mL by dropper = 6 tsp = 2 tbsp

Based on those figures, I reckon that if your soap mold holds 4 oz, then measure and melt down 4 oz of base and add 3.75 mL fragrance oil. If you want to add castor oil or butters, you can add anywhere from 3.75 mL to 7.5 mL of those. In terms of teaspoons (which I'm not as exact on as mL), I think that works out to something less than 1/2 tsp, but more than 1/4 tsp. for the fragrance oil. Add the same amount or up to a little over a tsp for the added oils.

For a soap mold that holds around 6 oz, add 5.62 mL (a little over 5 1/2 mL) of fragrance oil to your base and add the same amount of castor oil or other oil or butter to it, but don't exceed 11.24 mL of added oils or butters. I think that works out to a very tiny bit over a tsp for the fragrance oil, and the same for the added oils or butters, but not exceeding a little over 2 tsp for the latter.

I worked out the measurements for 5 oz molds as well as 4.75 oz molds, too, but I'm running behind right now. :tongue2: If you want me to, I'll be happy to later on today when I have more time, but I think it's fairly simple to figure out with the base figures already given. It's just that converting the measurements into tsps is a little bit tricky for some of the measurements, but I don't think I'm too far off on those (at least I hope!). HTH! :) I'll let y'all know how my little experiment with a single bar of M & P turned out.

MarieJeanette

Yep, I'm sorry but to me making ONE bar of soap takes waaay more work than just doing a pound-from the sound of it!! EEK

Whether making one bar or one loaf/pound etc. you'll still be making the same amount of mess, so why not just go for it??

If you don't like it you can always cut it up and stick it in something else, or add to it, or whatever.

Believe me the only time I've thrown out soap, was when I didn't read my FO bottle and realized I just made 3 lbs. of soap that wasn't body safe. DUHHHH:o

Go for it, you'll have more fun!!

I know, I know- I'm wierd, but I thrive on little math challenges. :D They're like aerobics for my brain, which needs a little jolt every so often.

:whip:

Actually, it turned out to be that it wasn't too hard to make just one bar at all, once I figured out the numbers. I admit that I can be somewhat anal about certain things at times, but as a soap newbie, (and knowing myself), if I was going to screw it all up, I'd best err on the cautious side and start my screw-ups small. :)

I made a wonderful bar in my mold that's shaped like little feet. It turned out so cute. It's just the size of a little baby's foot. I used 4 different bases from WSP to make it: Silk & Shea base, Oatmeal base, Honey base, and Ultra White. I also added some castor oil and Lait Sucre for scent. I must've done something right because it feels and smells wonderful, and after washing my hands with it, I didn't feel like I had to immediately go run for the lotion! Yay! :bliss: I suppose it would be somewhat of an understatement right this moment to say that I am now officially hooked!

Okay, I think it's safe enough for me to go make a pound now.:D

MarieJeanette

I know, I know- I'm wierd, but I thrive on little math challenges. :D They're like aerobics for my brain, which needs a little jolt every so often.

:whip:

Actually, it turned out to be that it wasn't too hard to make just one bar at all, once I figured out the numbers. I admit that I can be somewhat anal about certain things at times, but as a soap newbie, (and knowing myself), if I was going to screw it all up, I'd best err on the cautious side and start my screw-ups small. :)

I made a wonderful bar in my mold that's shaped like little feet. It turned out so cute. It's just the size of a little baby's foot. I used 4 different bases from WSP to make it: Silk & Shea base, Oatmeal base, Honey base, and Ultra White. I also added some castor oil and Lait Sucre for scent. I must've done something right because it feels and smells wonderful, and after washing my hands with it, I didn't feel like I had to immediately go run for the lotion! Yay! :bliss: I suppose it would be somewhat of an understatement right this moment to say that I am now officially hooked!

Okay, I think it's safe enough for me to go make a pound now.:D

MarieJeanette

LOL! Congrats on your first bar! You have WAY more patience than I for sure!