Making soy blends

I have tossed the idea back and forth a few times...just want some input.

I am currently using the GL 70/30.....but as everyone knows shipping is killing people.

I was toying with trying the GB 464 and mixing in the parrafin that I used to use to come up with my own blend to see how it goes :shocked2: Or even if you use c-3....

Question is those that blend their own, have you tried GL 70/30 if so how would you compare it to your blend...did you stick with your own or did you switch over?

I know it will be more work to blend my own...but just throwing this out to get suggestions before I spend more money

TIA

Stinger Butt

edited to add c-3

I have played around alot with my own parasoy blend. As you may know, I am a Mad Scientist .

I originally tried mixing 415 with J-50 at 70/30 and got a blend that threw well, set up silky smooth, but did not adhere very well. In fact, it pulled away completely from the jar. That was not necessarily a bad thing, but I would rather have it pull away completely than have wet spots. IMO it would be better if you used a soy that had no other additives in it. I'm not familiar with C-3 to know if it has anything other than soy in it. The GL 70/30 does adhere very well.

Another parasoy I have tried and kinda like is the KY Parasoy. Costs alot less than GL, closer to me so less shipping costs, but pulls away from jar just like my own blend. It is easy to use. FO retention comparable to other parasoys.

Anyway HTH! geek-butt :P

I'm now switching to a blend of paraffin and pure soy. I tested GL 70/30, but my new blend is much better, imho. My new blend has a better hot throw and sets up with a completely flat top when poured around 150. With GL I get a noticeable dip around the wick. The new blend also burns with no soot (when wicked properly) and the tops set up flat with no frosting after burning. My blend isn't quite a 70/30 blend, but it's close and I think it's a keeper.

• 10 months later...

Okay ----lmao

I have finally tried this over the last month ----but keep getting major frosting.

I have mixed 70/30 415/4627 444/4627 and 464/4627

I hear others say they don't get frosting - - - am I getting bad batches of soy? lol

I know that is not what is happening but does anyone have any suggestions? I have about 3 1/2 cases left of my GL wax and would like to have a start on this before I run out of GL 70/30.

I tried mixing my own 70/30 too for the same reasons but haven't come up with a winner yet. I was mixing the 415 with J50 and found it wasn't so bad at the 75/25 (I got HUGE cracks at 70/30) but I don't like the way it sets up. Throw is good hot and cold but I still prefer GLs.

Okay - major issue...lmao

My son normally takes my flops...well I start to go down to the basement and right at the bottom of the stairs I smell one of my candles. His room is clear across the basement. My basement is 2200 sq ft total.

I'm think shucks that has a really good strong throw. He said he had been burning it for about 1 1/2 hours.

I guess I will have to have a candle test in his room that is made with GL wax....I normally burn those upstairs...hmmmm

Only to get rid of the frosting......

Hi,

I am not sure if this will help you or not. I am by no means a professional but I did find the best soy wax to use for containers is Natures Wax By Cargill c-3. All of the instructions that I read said pour around 160 to 170 degrees. So I did and all of them turned out horrible. I poured about 40 candles like that the tops caved in & had huge dents. So then I experimented and then realized that when I pour this soy wax around 104 degrees there will be small blemishes in the top but I smooth out any tiny bubbles. I always leave room for a second pour and the top looks great. Just make sure the second pour is around 180 to 190 for the two layers to adhere to one another. I like things that are simple and natural. With this wax I do not put any additives at all. As long as the fragrance throws well in Soy I cannot complain at all.

:yay:Take Care & God Bless!!

E'dee Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

Hey miz - I know we were doing some comparisons of our blends and I FINALLY got around to trying the 415 with 4627. I had cracking around the edge of my glass. I thought the 415 sat so long that it dried out or something. I wonder why that blend is cracking when the 444/4627 didn't :confused:

Have you gotten that frosting under control yet? Which wax was your son burning to get such a good throw?

Just to throw another voice into the melee... I use GB415 and IGI 4630 in a 75/25 ratio and I get no frosting with dark colors. Interestingly enough, sometimes I get it with lighter colors but I like the way it looks.

The only complaint I have with this blend is cracking around the wick, which means I have to heat gun or repour. Being that I HATE repours I usually just zap 'em and I'm good to go.

I use a 70/30 blend and experienced holes and cracking around the wick. So I started placing my candles back in the case after I poured them and placed a towel over the top until they cooled. This allowed the top of my candles to cool slowly which gets rid of the wet spots, cracking and sink holes near the wick. Hth

Guest LightofDawn
Tempering the wax before pouring helps to reduce "frosting." There is a lot of information on this here at CT (search) or you can read up on Google by searching for tempering chocolate.

Stella,

Thanks alot for this tidbit of info. I read it on another post you had somewhere on the forum (not sure where). I finally poured my first perfect candle using this method and I did not even have to use my heatgun. No frosting, no sink holes, and no wet spots. I did however also start washing all my glass in sudsy ammonia. :yay: :yay: :yay:

Thanks

Tempering the wax before pouring helps to reduce "frosting." There is a lot of information on this here at CT (search) or you can read up on Google by searching for tempering chocolate.

Thanks...not sure if I tempered correct - I did what I thought it meant --nope I did not research - lol.

However......they came out creamy.....little specs of frosting so far on the bottoms....but nothing real noticeable - I see them cause I am examing them.

The tops are cracked however....but I figure a repour may fix. I will keep checking these for a few days.

Thanks for the tip.

I went back and reread your post. I noticed you mentioned using 415. The 415 is a harder wax than 402. You might want to try the 402 instead of 415 to get rid of the cracks. Hth

My Bad...I started this thread a long time ago and just got around to trying it. I used 444 with paraffin.