Liquid Soap

wildangel112

Well, here's the finished product. It may not be the clear soap that some shoot for, but I'm too happy for words :yay: . Actually, my mom was just over here raving over the pretty amber color and making certain I wasn't going to add dye to ruin it :rolleyes2 . I scented this batch Coconut Lime Verbena.

post-44-139458406842_thumb.jpg

post-44-139458406845_thumb.jpg

post-44-139458406848_thumb.jpg

Rena that looks absolutley beautiful. I do like the color also. That is one of my favorite scents too. I don't think I have the patience to do all that cooking. But maybe during my vacation I will have enough free time to try that!

:yay: :yay: :yay:Now we're cooking...lol...my recipe from about.com was based on the recipe you used. And I didn't care if it was clear either I am mainly concerned with other things like moisturizing and lather. It seems the smaller batches behave differently than the larger ones. My first batch was a small batch and it was a medium amber as well but my second one was very clear and pale yellow. Both took the color very well. I think I will play with this recipe a bit to make it mine.

Keep up the good work and I love the bottles!

:) Actually, I didn't use the recipe listed on ellens essentials, just the instructions. The recipe I followed was 50% coconut oil, 25% grapeseed oil, 20% rice bran oil and 5% castor. I also added sugar and silk fibers to my lye water. I have to say that I'm very pleased with it, so far. It lathers up nicely, and leaves my hands very soft. I had my mom test it since she has very dry hands, and she was calling me back last night still talking about how soft and smooth her hands felt. :yay: Just what I needed with fall/holiday shows to prepare for; another addiction. :rolleyes2 I'll be starting batch 2 shortly.

That's great. I have taken this recipe from about.com and changed it quite a bit ...guess it's mine now..LOL I have a recipe I made that needs tweaking as well. But so far with the changes I made to the about recipe I like it much better. Lathers like shampoo and isn't drying. The about recipe was good but it's a whole lot better now.:)

• 5 weeks later...

There is a liquid soap and cream soap calc on snowdrift farms...I tried one of their recipes and it was ok. It was the facial soap recipe. It wouldn't thicken up very much with borax and it came out milky white when I did that. It's not exactly water thin but it is ok for facial soap and it does lather very well. I use it every day. When I played around with that other recipe it was simply adding shredded bar soap or using borax. I loved the results of both. I have made a recipe based on snowdrifts( i think it was) 3-4% lye? anyway I was distracted and doing too many other things and diluted it too well:embarasse

HTH

There is a liquid soap and cream soap calc on snowdrift farms...I tried one of their recipes and it was ok. It was the facial soap recipe. It wouldn't thicken up very much with borax and it came out milky white when I did that. It's not exactly water thin but it is ok for facial soap and it does lather very well. I use it every day. When I played around with that other recipe it was simply adding shredded bar soap or using borax. I loved the results of both. I have made a recipe based on snowdrifts( i think it was) 3-4% lye? anyway I was distracted and doing too many other things and diluted it too well:embarasse

HTH

ok thanks I have made some liquid soap from cp soap shavings and I really like it but want to try making some from scatch to see if I can get it clear.

Thanks... one more question. How much fo can be added to the finished soap? I think I read that 3% is a safe level. I have the recipe from about.com but I am going to modify it and see how it goes. Seems like an awlful lot of KOH for that size batch but apparently it's okay. What do you think? Thanks for your help

The way the guide explains it is that excess lye is ok because it's all cooked out and it is there to ensure all of the oils is saponified. I do believe that he also used 1 oz pp of soap paste. I think it depends on the strenght of the fragrance. That recipe works very well but i think you should double it. Might have just been in my case but the first time I made that recipe it took forever to go through all those stages. But when I doubled it, the time was cut in half and that was definitely encouraging:cheesy2:

Also, the borax will gel the soap but the boric acid won't. My FO thickened the soap nicely. On snowdrift farms they suggest using silk protein, wheat protein and panthenol. I bought all three to see if they actually add something to it. I ahven't used them yet and it really is fine as it is.

HTH

The way the guide explains it is that excess lye is ok because it's all cooked out and it is there to ensure all of the oils is saponified. I do believe that he also used 1 oz pp of soap paste. I think it depends on the strenght of the fragrance. That recipe works very well but i think you should double it. Might have just been in my case but the first time I made that recipe it took forever to go through all those stages. But when I doubled it, the time was cut in half and that was definitely encouraging:cheesy2:

Also, the borax will gel the soap but the boric acid won't. My FO thickened the soap nicely. On snowdrift farms they suggest using silk protein, wheat protein and panthenol. I bought all three to see if they actually add something to it. I ahven't used them yet and it really is fine as it is.

HTH

Okay great thanks!!! I am going to try it possibly this weekend if all goes well time wise. Wish me luck:grin2: