Relief Holes in Palm Wax?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I just poured my very first palm pillar, using a kit. The instructions don't say anything about poking relief holes. Are relief holes needed in palm wax, as they are in paraffin? I did do a bit of poking after about 45 minutes and it appears I created a huge air bubble! :rolleyes2 It looks like even though the wax is still liquid in the middle, the top has crystallized and there's air between the two layers. Does that make sense? After doing a search about palm wax, I also discovered that most of you heat your molds when using palm, but the instructions don't say anything about this either. Is this really necessary? I poured at about 185 - 190 degrees. Any help is very much appreciated!! :cheesy2:

Phew! Thanks Carrie! I've seen pics of palm pillars in the gallery and they look absolutely amazing, so couldn't wait to try them for myself. I didn't realize just how different is to paraffin to work with! Have you ever mixed the two together? Half paraffin/half palm? Would this work? I only ask because me being the cheapskate I am, would like to stretch the palm a little further. I only have a couple of pounds of it (palm) and don't want to waste any if it isn't possible to mix... :confused:

Uh-oh. Ummmmm.... should I be worried? :shocked2: I haven't done much research on palm at all... why are you apprehensive of it, Everito? :undecided

I just have 0 experience with it. My apprehension comes mostly from what I've read and seen on this board. Mostly from looking at pillar burn pics.

I wouldn't say that you or I should be worried about working with palm. It's just seems to me that it's a different animal and has a learning curve all of it's own. I'm personally just not ready to take on a new field of learning, right now. Who knows, I may get bored with what I'm doing and try some palm in the coming months.

From most of the pillars that I have seen, I think that the basic idea is to leave an outer shell all the way down the burn.

You can go to the gallery forum and then do a search on "search this forum" button and probably just type *palm* and you should get some pillar burn picks.

I'm sure that there are some members here who are very good at working with palm wax. I doubt that they are the least bit worried or apprehensive. :smiley2: They sure do make some gorgeous candles.

I'm looking forward to doing my first test burn! I'll let you all know how it turns out! (Insert fingers-crossed smilie here! :D) I'm going to go and mix some palm with paraffin now to see what (if anything) happens.

Thanks for the tips, guys! :)

Well, so much for that! :angry2: One more thing that the instructions failed to mention was that you need to spray your mold with mold release!!! I tried absolutely everything to get that candle out... fridge, freezer, hot water... eventually I resorted to a knife. Luckily, no damage to the mold, so it just means my first palm pillar will take a little longer to present itself! :tongue2:

The mold came with the kit and I don't know if it was because it's polycarbonate, or because it's brand-new and needed some breaking in, but it was not releasing that candle. In the end, I got the wax out, remelted it, added a little stearic, and poured it into a greased aluminum mold. It worked!!!!!! :yay: And it looks wonderful!!! If I do say so myself!! :grin2:

I'm not crazy about working with this wax... but love the end result. The effects/patterns are amazing. Hopefully it will burn as nicely as it looks. :smiley2: