MP chunky help...

Darwin

Hmmm, can you explain what the alcohol or witchhazel sparying does to help before pouring the overpour? I understand about not letting the embeds completely get cold but not the spraying!

Hope Im not hijacking this thread but very curious!! I hope to be making soaps soon!!

God Bless,

Lynn

Don't let the embeds cool till they're "cold." Also, it helps to spray them with alcohol or witchhazel right before you pour over them. Heat your overpour MP to a liquid but don't get it super hot before you pour.

HTH

Well, I have oodles of witch hazel that I use to spritz bath bombs, I think I will give that a shot the next time. And if it still don't work, I will get some rubbing alcohol. I am too cheap to go buy some if the witch hazel will work. Thanks everyone for helping me figure this out. I was getting really frustrated.

You know I have never really found that spraying either wich hazel or alcohol helps.

If you ask me it really really is all about the right temp. The temp of the over pour and the soap that you may already have a layer of in the mold.

I am sorry I can't tell you what that temp is. I never measure I do it by look and feel.

You know I have never really found that spraying either wich hazel or alcohol helps.

If you ask me it really really is all about the right temp. The temp of the over pour and the soap that you may already have a layer of in the mold.

I am sorry I can't tell you what that temp is. I never measure I do it by look and feel.

I second what tlc says!! ;)

The only thing I find the alcohol works for is for getting rid of bubbles, but the temps of the existing embeds (I always make sure they are at room temp-never use directly out of the freezer) make a big difference for me, and my overpour is always cooled until I can stick my finger in it (actually on a dipped spoon that is not reused ;) ) and I only feel the tiniest bit of heat. I'm always stirring it though so it doesn't form a skin and the chunkies that would follow.

You said don't let the embeds cool till they're "cold." I'm guessing that's if you're making the embeds at the same time you make the soap. What if you use purchased embeds or make them in advance to have ready to use. Is there a way to warm them slightly without melting them?

TIA,

Jane

Thanks, I have some really cute embeds I have purchased that I need to remember to use! But last week I got a small set of silicone cookware that has one sheet of small flower molds, so I believe I'll try making a few embeds myself. I just love to use silicone cookware for M&P--wish I could find one for rectangular bars!