Anyone good with blending?

cnsaitch

I'm not sure if this is where I would post this or not, but I've been trying to find something similar in fragrance to (don't laugh) Straw Hat - yeah it's an oldie! I found some at The Vermont Country Store and it lists the top notes, middle notes and bottom notes as follows:

• Top notes of lemon, lavandin, and geranium
  • Middle notes of rose, violet, heliotrope, and patchouli
  • Bottom notes of vanilla, musk, and sandalwood

Are there any of you with this knowledge that would be willing to guide me with some pointers of where to begin as I have no clue. Here's a dumb question - am I correct in my thinking that the top notes are my main target, then slightly lesser amounts on the middle notes and even less on the bottom notes?

Thanks,

Cindy :)

What I do when blending a new scent is get LOTS of Q-tips and some baggies. Cut your q-tips in half and start dipping into each of the scents you want to blend and put them in the baggie, zip it closed for about an hour or so....open and sniff. Then you add or subtract scents till you get it to smell like your looking for. I always use a new baggie each time I add or subtract. That basically will give you your ratios when you start blending in larger quantities. if you use 2 q-tips of one scent and 1 q-tip of say 2 other scents you have your ratio of 2-1-1. You can make your ratios, 1/2 oz., full oz., or whatever you want. I LOVE blending new scents!! Have fun!! :cool2:

What I do when blending a new scent is get LOTS of Q-tips and some baggies. Cut your q-tips in half and start dipping into each of the scents you want to blend and put them in the baggie, zip it closed for about an hour or so....open and sniff. Then you add or subtract scents till you get it to smell like your looking for. I always use a new baggie each time I add or subtract. That basically will give you your ratios when you start blending in larger quantities. if you use 2 q-tips of one scent and 1 q-tip of say 2 other scents you have your ratio of 2-1-1. You can make your ratios, 1/2 oz., full oz., or whatever you want. I LOVE blending new scents!! Have fun!! :cool2:

What a great idea!

Not sure how much this will help but in reading a couple of aromatherapy books...Tisserand says that these "notes" are based on an evaporation scale.

Top notes are the lightest and what you smell first out of the bottle,

Base notes are the fixatives to 'hold back' the faster notes and make the scent last as long as possible,

Middle notes are there to help the blend flow and to be there as a link between the fast and slow notes.

HTH:)