Nipple balm??

storm35

I believe it is safe since it is ok to be consumed in small amouts, but as for EOs I don't know. Unscented is generally recommended for nursing moms!!!

Personally I recommend jojoba oil applied to soak in, followed by some lanolin a few minutes later to seal.

I kind of don't want to go here :rolleyes2....but what the heck, lol.

Are you talking about for a nursing mother? If not nursing, I would say sure to the lip balm base, but I wouldn't use any EO's or FO's. Pretty sensitive area....I wouldn't want my 'girls' smelling like much of anything.

If yes to nursing, definitely NO FO's or EO's, and maybe to the base. I would think it would depend on the ingredients. You certainly don't want to introduce anything that could be sensitive for the baby, or even something that might be absorbed into the blood stream and excreted in the milk. Might be better to check with the pedi before using anything. HTH.

Yes good point, no idea what i was thinking there for a minute, here is the ingredients for the balm i have, can this be used for nursing mothers just on its own??

Ricinus Communis, Cera Alba, Ozokerite, Vitis vinifera, Tocopheryl Acetate, BHA, Isopropylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben

chris xx

Thank you guys for your help, much appreciated.

Ricinus Communis = castor oil

Cera Alba = beeswax

Ozokerite = paraffin (I think)

Vitis vinifera = grapeseed oil?

Tocopheryl Acetate = vitamin E

seems pretty much ok up to here, but then you hit the preservatives....

I would say no to that, you really don't want anything with parabens (possibly linked to cancer, maybe, http://www.nbc10.com/health/2881458/detail.html) in it, or other preservatives. I'd say if you really want to make something keep it simple. But La Leche League really recommends plain old (expensive in the store) lanolin.

Lanolin freaks me out - isn't there a substitute?

*Jenny, who is getting ready to pop & breast feed for the FIRST time ever*

I'm sensitive to lanolin - I break out in a rash that itches like heck! And guess how I found out??? Yep - breastfeeding! So imagine me, sore nipplies, hungry baby, and a rash to boot... I used olive oil after I got done breastfeeding each time. I was low on cash and I used OO to cook with before (back in the day when I made my own spagetti sauce!)... Wish I had something better but between washing with just cool water, a warm wash rag before I fed (helps with milk "let down" so baby doesn't have to suck as hard at first), and the OO, I made it through four babies being breastfed - and if I can do it, anyone can! I'm a baby when it comes to pain... but just keep thinking that the benifit (not to mention the cost!) way out weighs the few days of achies and pain...

I just wish I was making BB stuff back then like I am now... I'd have been one happy mama!

Life & Light!

Tish

Jenny, Lansinoh is a brand of 100% USP grade lanolin that I used when I had Henry - here's a blurb about it (bolding mine - if LLL approves it, that's a pretty good sign that it's safe):

Description: Developed especially for breastfeeding mothers, Lansinoh is an ultra pure, medical-grade modified lanolin. Refined by a patented process to remove environmental impurities (including pesticide residues) and allergic components (free lanolin alcohols and detergent residues). Lansinoh is completely safe for use by those who may have a sensitivity to wool or other refinements of lanolin. So pure and safe, Lansinoh does not have to be removed before breastfeeding. Lansinoh has been clinically proven in hospital trials to accelerate the healing process of breastfeeding mothers with sore, cracked nipples. At 100% concentration of Lanolin, Lansinoh is unique in its ability to assist the skin in restoring and maintaining the proper moisture content that is vital to healthy, supple skin. When Lansinoh is applied to injured nipple/areola skin tissue it slows down the evaporation of the skin's natural moisture, providing a moisture barrier that allows the skin to re-hydrate from within. This process is known as moist wound healing, the most up-to-date method for accelerated healing which eliminates the formation of scabs/crusts. 2 oz tube. The only lanolin with 20 years of allergy free results and the La Leche League stamp of approval!

There really isn't a great sub for lanolin itself, but I've seen OO recommended as a sub, and also, this may sound weird to you, but expressing some milk after nursing and rubbing it on the nipple can help combat dryness and cracking. Another good product to have is those gel pads or the ones covered in cotton that you put in the fridge and can lay on the breast under your bra, it can't really help if you have cracking or bleeding, but it sure feels good and provides relief. Henry and I had a wicked number of challenges in establishing a good b/f relationship, and it took me months of pain and agony and three bouts of mastitis before we settled into a pain-free routine, and I did a lot of research about natural stuff so if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me or email!

Have you visited mothering.com? They have a great natural mothering forum with all kinds of topics, from breastfeeding to feeding to attachment parenting to gentle discipline, etc., etc. Plus, you may find that you get a new clientele for your products! www.mothering.com/discussions