What happened to my color?

Kymber

Ok.......I made my first attempt at swirled soap tonight. I had to stop at Hobby Lobby quick on my way home and they had all their soaping stuff (very limited selections) on sale so I grabbed some liquid dyes. Now I know they aren't of the highest quality nor are they super concentrated but after my color chunks last weekend turning to chunks in my soap I decided OK I'll try this liquid till I get something decent and easy to use ordered. Well I made soap using a lard recipe......scented it with Cool Water and took a bit out for swirls. I added blue, then more blue, then a bunch more and I got to a pale purple color...so added a bunch more and got to a grayish blue.....added more (you get the picture) and finally decided it was setting up too fast and I better get to swirling. Got it in the soap and the colored soap turned PINK?? What in the world?? It is gelling right now but still looks pretty pink....and no blue. :shocked2:

The pH definately affects the color! As the base (lye) gets used up in the saponification process the color might shift back toward blue. Can actually take a week to get where it's going totally, but from my limited experience within 24 hours it's about there. Not sure what you'll actually end up with though cause the process can also morph the color.

My purples turned a sickly green-gray before shifting back to purple. Go figure.

That's part of the fun of soaping IMO. You never know what colors you will get from your soap. And, you soap could very well still come out blue. I've had some colors that what they ended up being certainly were not close to what they started out looking like.

Those colorants are meant for MP soap, not CP soap.. As you can see, they are not stable in CP. Just make a note of what color it turns, and you'll know which one to grab when you want pink!

Well that would explain it!! LOL I just peeked at it and it is now purple!

The pH definately affects the color! As the base (lye) gets used up in the saponification process the color might shift back toward blue. Can actually take a week to get where it's going totally, but from my limited experience within 24 hours it's about there. Not sure what you'll actually end up with though cause the process can also morph the color.

My purples turned a sickly green-gray before shifting back to purple. Go figure.

Well it is very obvious I need to invest in some decent CP colorants...any good suggestions?

I'm having the time of my life with Select Shades from Tradewinds, which Grumpy Girl turned me on to (thanks again!!!) http://tradewinds.mainsecure.net/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15&zenid=f670c67cc5280346d4deb7d8bb32ea87

The basic 8 set will get you ANY color you could ever desire by following the instructions - and the instructions are customized for regular CP, high olive oil recipes, M&P... So you can get the color you are looking for.

Trust me when I say the 2-oz size is plenty for a hobbiest!

Select Shades work great in CP. You will get such vibrant colors from just those 8 colors. Definately worth the investment.

Vibrant is what I am looking for..........guess I will just have to order them! Have you tried their fragrances?

Well my soap turned out a gorgeous lavender/purple color. I haven't sliced it yet to see how I did on the swirls but it is very pretty in color. Not the blue I was looking for that would have gone with the Cool Water FO.....LOL I am going to order those colors today from Tradewinds!