Experiment

CareBear

I made 4-1# batches of Darwin's basic recipe tonight (no color, no swirl, no FO - but did add silk to all):

A. Just followed the recipe (control batch)

B. Added 1T ppo powdered goats milk to the oils.

C. Used Coconut Milk for 50% of liquid. Made up lye with water (double-strength) and then added the CM at very thin trace.

D. Used aloe juice for 100% of liquid (made up lye sol'n with it).

Made them all at 4:00ish this afternoon, and put all into my Misty Creek mold (btw, cardboard doesn't work so well as a divider).

So far (7pm-ish):

-The CM one gelled super fast, faster than any other. Now that it looks fully gelled it's a weird light green color.

-The others are just starting to gel, and I think the heat from the CM jump-started those next to it cause instead of gelling from the center, those are gelling from the side next to the CM!

-The GM one has little brown flecks in it, guess I didn't incorporate the powder well enough into the oils - maybe I'll try liquid next but I this didn't happen in my one previous GM batch.

When I make GM soap, I use fresh goat's milk (I get it at the store - so it's not *farm fresh* but close!) and I freeze it in pre-weighed little tubs (I think they are 3 cup containers). Then when I slowly add the lye to the frozen gm it doesn't get all orange-y and my soap stays a nice milky color. I do the same for all my milk and tea soaps. Helps me keep the lye at a cool temp so I can add it to the oils sooner - I'm impatient and hate to wait for things to cool! :D and it actually saves me time even though you have to pour the lye alittle slower than if you were just using just liquid. I'm not sure if you could freeze the aloe vera but it's worth a shot... I freeze my tea that I use as liquid and it helps to keep a consistant color.

HTH in some future experiments... I'm thinking I need to get me one of them there molds.... ;) what a great idea for testing!

Life & Light!

Tish

Tish, you add the lye to solid frozen GM?

Dang, I see another experiment on the horizon - different ways to add GM

Yep - I let it defrost abit so I can get it out of the containers (a minute or two under hot running water usually does the trick) and then I plunk it in my two gallon pitcher that I use to mix my lye in. If the room is really warm (which it usually is because it's next to my laundry room - 6 people in a house means lots and LOTS of laundry!), I put the pitcher in a cold water bath just to help keep it cool. It takes a while for the lye to melt the milk block but what I do is just sprinkle alittle on the block, then let it sit for a minute, then kinda scrape off the milky lye, stir a bit, and then add some more. It's a long process but it works great!

I'm going to post a pick of my Lavender Patchouli soap - keep in mind that the EOs make it a bit darker but you can get an idea.

HTH and have fun! :)

Life & Light!

Tish

post-1703-139458406261_thumb.jpg

When I make GM soap, I use fresh goat's milk (I get it at the store - so it's not *farm fresh* but close!) and I freeze it in pre-weighed little tubs (I think they are 3 cup containers). Then when I slowly add the lye to the frozen gm it doesn't get all orange-y and my soap stays a nice milky color. I do the same for all my milk and tea soaps. Helps me keep the lye at a cool temp so I can add it to the oils sooner - I'm impatient and hate to wait for things to cool! :D and it actually saves me time even though you have to pour the lye alittle slower than if you were just using just liquid. I'm not sure if you could freeze the aloe vera but it's worth a shot... I freeze my tea that I use as liquid and it helps to keep a consistant color.

HTH in some future experiments... I'm thinking I need to get me one of them there molds.... ;) what a great idea for testing!

Life & Light!

Tish

You do your GM soap the same way I do. I usually get my GM fresh from a friend that raises goats for their fiber. In the off season when the goats aren't producing milk anymore, I do use store bought, but I prefer the fresh. You can tell a big difference since fresh has so much more of that delicious fat that goes into the soap batch. Sometimes too, I will save off some of my gm and add it to the batch after trace. I think I actually prefer using full strength in the lye instead because I think my lather is better that way. Adding some after trace seems to reduce it. ;)

actually if you read the first post there is no color or FO....she is seeing what the additives do to the recipe...such as color, texture, cure time, feel of soap before/during/after use, and if anything "off the wall" should happen it will get noted as well!