Is there a rule of thumb... ?

Hello everyone. Just wondering if there is a general rule of thumb to consider when deciding which wick to use for an FO?

Specifically, what I'm wanting to know is do you need to consider wicking up with the more dense FO's --- AND --- wick down for the less dense FO's? (Using the word dense properly I hope)

I recently made a single container using IGI 4630 wax with about 10% load of Creme Brulee FO in an 8 oz square mason. Now don't ask me why, but I decided to try an HTP-1212 wick which ended up burning beautifully. (I'll confess that at the time I did not put a tremendous amount of thought into the wick selection.) Reflecting back on this it would seem that this wick should've been way too big for this jar regardless of the wax or FO used.

I know there are lots of other factors to consider when considering wicks, but just how much does the density of the FO play into it?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

not a lot of help here as I don't use that wax or that jar, but I have used Creme Brulee and 4% knocks me out of the house. What possessed you to use 10%?

Generally, vanilla and cinnamon scents need a larger wick. Sometimes, cutting down the FO percent enables a smaller wick to work better.

I'm having a heck of a time with Blackberry Sage. I had to wick up 2 sizes on votives. On my jars, I cut down the FO percent and am hoping my current tester will work.

How hot was the jar and what kind of a burn time did you get. How long did it take to reach a full melt pool. That sounds like a big wick with that wax in an 8 oz mason. I have found with this wax that smaller wicks work best, seems to be a fast burner with big wicks. Just food for thought.

Try and avoid using scents at such high percentages!!!

As you have discovered, it oftens means that you have to use a much larger wick than normal to get the candle to burn.If you are using heavier oils,this can severely clog up the wick.

There are also other potential problems...I have known the scent to 'sweat' out of the wax blend over time, causing the candle to burn in a non uniform and potentially dangerous manner.

Occasionally the scent at high levels can also 'attack' the wick over time, again changing the burn properties. This can be often countered if you use wicks treated with NST2 or STP.