help w/ making wax tarts/melts

hello everyone :) I found candle tech while doing a google search, and thought this would be a great place to ask some question.

first of all, I have never made any kind of candles/tarts in my life, so I'm really a newbie :) but I would love to make some for my personal use, and maybe for friends and family, etc. I have no intention of selling them, I just want to use up the stock of fragrance oils I have on hand that I won't otherwise use.

So...my questions...

I want a really hard wax that will just pop right out of my burner when I'm done and it's cooled. I hate having to dig and scrape that stuff out, but being a newbie I have no idea what kind of wax to buy. pilar? votive? something different? I'm completely lost!

I've seen "fragrance modifiers", which claim to allow you to add excess FO for stronger smell/longer burn. are these effective? worth investing in, or too much trouble for someone new?

I have some "embed" molds that I've used for soap in the past, can I use these for wax too, or do I have to buy special ones?

thanks!

Hello and welcome! First of all, what type of fragrance oils do you have? Are they for candles? I'm just curious to see where you got them from if you aren't a candlemaker....as for the type of wax: if the wax is too hard, your tart won't melt. I use 75% container wax, and 25% votive wax. If you are worried about getting them out of your tart warmer once they are melted cooled, you can always stick them in the freezer for 5 mins or so, and they will pop right out. Your days of scraping are now over! If I were you, I wouldn't bother with FO modifier. If you get a good FO from a decent candle supply company, it will be plenty strong enough for your tarts. I would highly recommend just starting with the tarts so that you can get used to working with the wax and FO, etc. Getting into jars right away, you'll have to do a ton of testing with wicks, fo, jar sizes, etc.

Hope this helps and have fun!

hi, and welcome to the board. top left of each forum is a search button...very handy. at the top of the board is a search for the whole board, but that may get you too many results.

I found this one about different waxes...

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27515&highlight=tarts

you might find that vybar 103 helps if you use straight paraffin - won't need it for a blend

First of all, what type of fragrance oils do you have? Are they for candles? I'm just curious to see where you got them from if you aren't a candlemaker.... Hope this helps and have fun!

thank you :) I have some from just scent. for christmas I did gift baskets w/ handmade bar soaps and lotions for my friends, but now I've got some of these oils around still, and I want to use them up instead of just letting them go to pot.

thank you :) I have some from just scent. for christmas I did gift baskets w/ handmade bar soaps and lotions for my friends, but now I've got some of these oils around still, and I want to use them up instead of just letting them go to pot.

Oh oK - good! I just didn't want you to try using some crazy oil from god knows where and have it blow up in your face LOL - safety first! Sounds like you are off to a good start - good luck!

Oh oK - good! I just didn't want you to try using some crazy oil from god knows where and have it blow up in your face LOL - safety first! Sounds like you are off to a good start - good luck!

lol, yeah blowing my kitchen sky high is probably best avoided :)