What do you take with....

Just touching base on one thing. I common misconception about placement of candles in a store is in the front. I find the most have luck in the back. Candles are a consumable, which means one they are gone, their gone, they have to come back for more. Many stores have a section devoted to candles and place them all together. Many have specific rooms. Placing them at varoius places will not sell a candle, you have to group them together in order to sell them. They may come in for a Yank** but leave with one of yours. It's the same reason why milk, bread, and clearance items are always in the back of the store, its what they come in for and then the people have to pass by other items they like and want to buy. Also, you want them as far away from sunlight as possible so they do not fade.

What about a promo? Any special offers? Do you have your minimums set?

Are you going in with an appointment? Or just walking in cold off the street?

When I went to talk to the buyers for my wholesale accounts, I had an appointment, and I took a basket of candles in with me. I also took the wholesale price list, and a scent list. Thats it. Lame I guess, but it worked every time :) All of my contracts were discussed at the time of the meeting with the buyers, and vamped from there. I knew what I would accept, and told them as much without having a contract right there for them to sign. My contracts are different for each store (I have different types of stores) and they were drawn up after the initial meetings, and signed before first orders were made. I did have a notepad with me and a pen, so I could jot down notes in order to do the contracts.

Are you going in with an appointment? Or just walking in cold off the street?

When I went to talk to the buyers for my wholesale accounts, I had an appointment, and I took a basket of candles in with me. I also took the wholesale price list, and a scent list. Thats it. Lame I guess, but it worked every time :) All of my contracts were discussed at the time of the meeting with the buyers, and vamped from there. I knew what I would accept, and told them as much without having a contract right there for them to sign. My contracts are different for each store (I have different types of stores) and they were drawn up after the initial meetings, and signed before first orders were made. I did have a notepad with me and a pen, so I could jot down notes in order to do the contracts.

I had a basket to start with but felt samples were getting handled too much and bumped around, bows getting tattered. never came up with a great container. I think if I go around again in the fall a hat box would work better. And leave a sample (a must) and brochure, price list, business card.