soap and the water percentage

KFTS

Okay, I tried my hand at soapmaking again yesterday, 3 lb batch. (only my 5th batch). Put the recipe in the MMS lye calculator. I used the medium percentage of lye (the green zone) and the maximum recommended water amount. So does using the max water % that mean it will be soft and take forever to cure? I felt it this morning and the top felt greasy and I wasn't sure if it was too soon to take it out, so I left it in the mold and will check it later.

well crud, I won't do that again then. It is really soft. :cry2: I think I shouldn't even cut it for a while?

Probably not. Go for the middle water number next time. If they say 8-12, use 10. Only exception is a floral or difficult FO, then use the full water.

I did the calculator and it said to use 9.95 oz water, I used 13 which comes out to 27% strength. Is it ruined since it was so watered down? I'm thinking the lower strength means it won't saponify as well?

Probably not. Go for the middle water number next time. If they say 8-12, use 10. Only exception is a floral or difficult FO, then use the full water.
I'll make a note of that, thanks!

It just means it will take longer to cure. As long as you have the correct lye amount you are ok. As the soap cures, it loses water. The more water to lose, the longer it will take to get hard. Stronger lye solution = faster cure, harder bar.

e

It just means it will take longer to cure. As long as you have the correct lye amount you are ok. As the soap cures, it loses water. The more water to lose, the longer it will take to get hard. Stronger lye solution = faster cure, harder bar.

e

Okay, guess I'll save it for Christmas presents! LOL, Thanks :grin2: