Help! Trying to Make My Biz Legal and...

Hi everyone...today i decided to go ahead and get a DBA and Fed ID # and business license in my city. So I did the first 2 things and everything is good.

Then I called my city to get a business license application. I live in an aparment. They told me that they don't allow businesses to be conducted in apartments.

So now what do I do? It's purely a mail-order and internet business. Only tarts and burners right now.

I have no idea what my next step should be. It's a part time business and i can't afford to get a storefront.

Thanks for any advice

UMM..what? Why CAN'T you operate out of an appartment..dont they think Avon and Home Interior people do? :confused:

Did you ask them WHY? I would ask and get a straight answer..let them know NO ONE will be coming to your apt. to purchase anything..it is strickly mail order. I understand if an area is not zoned commerical..but you are kinda like a home party plan biz right now. Let them know that.. it might help your case.:wink2:

Is your apartment a rental? I wonder if that could be the problem. Because when I applied for my home based business license, the applicant had to be the owner. If you are not the owner, I think you may need to get permission from the owner before proceeding. This was for my town, it could of course be different where you live.

I have discovered that businesses can be regulated by your city/county, etc. And there are some cities that have their own regulations, such as not allowing business from a multi-unit dwelling (apartment), or not allowing ANY home based business- you're not even supposed to have a direct sales business. It all depends on your city/county etc.

I looked into this a bit when a friend of mine wanted to start a home based business (not candle/soap related) within the city limits of Chicago. She went to get a city business license as required, discussed it with them, and was told she needed a state tax id and a county DBA before she could get the local business license. She went through all the steps, got both, then went back to the city- and was told they do not allow ANY home bases businesses that sell anything. Period. She had to get a separate store front, with a physical address, no PO box. No exceptions, not even for direct sales such as Avon, Home Interior, etc. That technically these reps are operating illegally. It's crazy BS if you ask me! :mad:

In some cases if you live in an apartment the city/county will require that you get a letter from your landlord allowing you to "make"/"do" whatever business inside the apartment. This letter has to be on file in addition to them giving you a license. I would call back and ask someone else. Tell them what you want to do and ask them to explain what'll you'll need. You may even want to go to the office and speak to someone face to face.

I think the Avon thing has been discussed before. The "Avon Ladies" are simply sales reps. They don't own the company and they don't manufacture anything.

yes but they still run an independent business...and according to the law in WV anyway..he/she would need to have a WV business licence and a city license to run a business...you are still responsible for putting it on your federal taxes. There is actually a code on the WV business license form that says home plan or sales rep something along those lines..I had to have one when I sold Home & Garden Party