474 Votive & Tarts / Added Pics

I remember reading somewhere that with Eco-Soya votive wax you needed to blend like 10% to 15% of the container soy to avoid cracking. I decided to test the same ratio using GB 474 votive and GB 464 container.

It worked. The votives and tarts turned out beautiful, imo.

The only concern I have is 464 has a lower melting point, which gives it a creamier appearance. Which would be a plus using tarts, don't you think? Do you think using 444 would be better to blend with 474? I know the 444 has a higher melt point and a little firmer, wouldn't that make it better for votives? Has anyone already tested the 474 with 444? Tia

I just wanted to say I'm test burning it. I know I didn't let it cure but I didn't have to with this f/o. The hot throw is fantastic. I used Strawberry f/o and a CD 5 for wick. I placed it a status votive jar I found at Wally Mart 2 weeks ago. These jars a soooo cute and they match the status jars perfectly.

I've got some GB 444. I'm going to be testing the same way I did the 474 & 464. I will post my results. I don't have a digital camera but I think I can find someone who does. I'll try to post pics as well.

SouthernGal,

I am glad you like the 474. I am interested in your findings so please post them on the board. For those of you looking for the 474 you can find it at on of the following places:

Gateway- 1-877-220-1963

Soycandle.com- 1-866-375-8969

I look forward to hearing all of your responses.

Jason

These are not the best pics. The camera I borrowed was a little out dated. Please note these are only my second attempt to ever make votives.

The 474/464 is my favorite for appearance with both votives and tarts. They have smooth creamy tops, no dips, no frosting, awesome cold & hot throw.

I think the 474/444 would be okay if maybe I had done a second pour on top, they dipped a little. I don't care for they way the tarts looked, a little rough. There is no cracks but I noticed a little frosting. The cold & hot throw are awesome,too.

I added 10% f/o and poured @ 160* with both.

post-3626-139458405268_thumb.jpg

post-3626-139458405272_thumb.jpg

What percentage of the 464/474 did you use for yout testing. I'm thinking of trying to make tarts myself and i already have the 464 and some sample 474 at home and would love to give it a try...Thanks!

Lili

What percentage of the 464/474 did you use for yout testing. I'm thinking of trying to make tarts myself and i already have the 464 and some sample 474 at home and would love to give it a try...Thanks!

Lili

I'm still testing different ratios with the tarts to see which way gives the best results. But I've narrowed it down to 2. I like adding 15% of 464 to 474 because this is the same ratio I use for the votives. I get the benefit of mixing all at once. But I'm also testing adding 25% 474 to the 464 to get a faster melt. HTH

• 3 weeks later...
southern Gal how did the rest of your testing go on this?

I like the results I got with 444/474 the best. The 444 takes a deeper color (I compared several different colors) and has a longer burn time which I believe is due to the higher melt point. I still have a few votives left and there is still no cracks, no frosting and they still have an awesome cold and hot throw. HTH

• 6 months later...
I like the results I got with 444/474 the best. The 444 takes a deeper color (I compared several different colors) and has a longer burn time which I believe is due to the higher melt point. I still have a few votives left and there is still no cracks, no frosting and they still have an awesome cold and hot throw. HTH

So, what is your final formula for these votives? I've got quite a bit of 474 and a case of 444 to play with.

Tony

I'm getting ready for my first attempts at tarts and votives as well. However, my 464 supplier doesn't carry 474, but they do have 416. Isn't 474 the same as 416 with USA added? Also, why doesn't 474 work well alone...is it a cracking top problem? Thanks....Mike