of molds and men

CareBear

My BF thinks soaping is goofy (his family is recently of Scotland, and his mom said "Soap? Like Grannie used to make out back?"), and when I bring it up he says things like "read my lips - I don't care".

But I talked him into looking for 2.5" PVC pipe. Of course he couldn't find any, so now he's on a quest for alternatives.

He actually called me tonight to ask if it had to be round cause he was thinking of some hollow PVC fence posts that might make for interesting molds...

I got him hooked, just in a different way. Now if I can get him to string together a soap cutter, and maybe a hammer together a log mold...

He bought me the 3". It's just plain a bit too big, even after shrinkage. Somehow the 2.5" just feels "right" in my hand.

Tomorrow during his lunch hour he's going to look at some other types of pipe and at the couplings for the 2" pipes, which should have an inner diameter of 2.25" we think (since the thickness of the PVC is .25"). I'll give that a try next.

OOh, ooh, a soap cutter... me me me!!! Your BF is welcome to send his first try my way!

Heck, I can do without the 2.5" mold - my round soap is just for DH's shaving soap anyway and he doesn't care how it looks!!

BTW, now I know I'm not crazy (too much) 'cuz I just could not find a 2.5" pvc pipe either.

I bugged my husband for 2 years to make me a wooden log mold. This weekend, I got a double log and DH said "THAT'S what you've been bugging me for!?" Now he's going nuts. He's working on dividers for a log mold similar to the ones used in a slab...

lol its funny what gets them interested in soaping... lol i to mentioned that I wanted to try pvc as a mold... Jeremy was all but in the car to go to home depot when those words came out of my mouth lol....

we didnt make it there though... between Nicholas and me being super sick last we we didnt get anywhere...