Web hosting

I've been with a couple of different hosts and from what I can tell, you get what you pay for. If you need a lot of help, enjoy bells and whistles, and/or want access to your .htaccess file then you'll pay more for it on a monthly basis.

Regardless, I'd look for any hosting site with at least 99.7% up time at a minimum.

:confused: hmmm.....I think I need webhosting for dummies. :(

If you're more of a techie and need access to .htaccess, SSI, scheduling cron jobs, unlimited subdomains, unlimited MySQL Db's, Fantastico w/lots of open source options, etc. I have to recommend Rochen Ltd. http://www.rochenhost.com/

I can't say enough good things about this team of folks, and the quality & value of their service. :thumbsup:

OSCommerce is an extremely insecure shopping cart, specifically because of their use of the PHP language. I would never install this script, there have been TONS of reports of web masters getting hacked through the use of this shopping cart.

HostGator.com is an excellent web host IMO.

OSCommerce is an extremely insecure shopping cart, specifically because of their use of the PHP language. I would never install this script, there have been TONS of reports of web masters getting hacked through the use of this shopping cart.

HostGator.com is an excellent web host IMO.

I think you advised me to use PHP language :D

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9556&highlight=website

Now I am concerned, but I think that my Boyfriend did not install OS commerce's Shopping cart. I have paypal shopping cart...am I confused?

Everyone has their own opinion on what programming language is safe and what isn't. Bottom line is ANY site can be hacked. osCommerce is fine to use, just don't store customers info on the site and make sure you get a secure Cert on it. I see you don't have one. There are contributions that will allow people to buy things from you without registering. Have your BF install it for you.

Sites don't typically get hacked unless there is something in it for the hacker...IE it's risk vs reward. Unless it gets them noticed (peers will be impressed or it's in all the papers) or they get some financial gain directly or indirectly, they aren't going to bother with your site. Allow customers to checkout without registering, use a SSL Cert, and Encrypt any customer info that is kept and you will be fine. :smiley2: