Harbour Freight: Impulse Sealer complaint

Cissy

For those of you who've ordered an implulse sealer from Harbour Freight:

When you rec'd your sealer, did the knob have a white chalk mark on it. Mine did, which appeared to me to be a mark someone had put there to indicate the setting they used when sealing. After I used 4 times, the spring which holds the arm a few inches broke fell inside the sealer. I suspected the product had been used before because of the chalk mark on the knob, but I needed it immediately and crossed my fingers, hoping it would last awhile, & didn't call the company. When the spring broke, I still didn''t call, since it would still function to seal the tubing. I have sealed less than 300 tart bags, now the darn thing won't heat up at all. I changed the fuse, changed the metal strip, still won't work. I just got off the phone with Harbour Freight. They refuse to do anything. I am very disappointed with this company, sending me a product I believe was a used product to begin with. They will not replace it. They asked me to ship it back (shipping was almost as much as the product ($17.00), but still would not say they would replace it...and if they were to, they would probably expect me to pay shipping again. I will not order from this company again. Does anyone know another company I can get a reasonable priced sealer from who has better customer service? I just do not believe a new product would have had a chalk mark on the knob to begin with, or has anyone else rec'd one like this?

By chalk mark do you mean like a little white line or dot? They come that way, supposed to be there. As for it now not working, unfortunately, you may be the cause. By leaving the spring down inside and not fixing it or contacting HF at that point, you basically void any warranty by continuing to operate it in a less than correct manner. That spring is now rolling around down in with the electrical components and may have either jammed up against something or shorted something out. Sorry, but I don't think it's HF's responsibility to fix it after you've continued to operate. :undecided

Beth, yes it looked like a chalk or paint line on the knob. I didn't understand why they would mark the knob, not knowing where you might want to have the setting yourself. I've never seen another new product done this way. It was the kind of mark (line) a person might mark it with so they would keep the knob set at that number for future use. You could be correct, that the loose spring might have messed up something else inside, I didn't think about that, but I didn't handle it roughly for the spring to fall down almost immediately after I rec'd it. I have used one of these on a job I use to work years ago, so I know how to handle one. Yes, I should have called them immediately, but had a deadline to meet and couldn't send it back or wait for a replacement. Still, I will not order another one from them.

I guess sometimes you get lucky & get a good deal on a cheaper product, and sometimes you wish you'd gone ahead and spent more money for a studier product.

Thanks Ladies on the Packo referral.

I have the 8" one from Harbor Freight and have had problems with it from day 1. I sent it back to them once..the replacment worked for a day or two then started burning thru teflon stips as soon as I put them on. I changed the fuse and works great now.

I don't remember saying what setting I used, but I did set at 3.5 (or halfway between 3 and 4). Would a .5 increase over the 3.0 setting make that much difference, enough to burn it out so quickly?