Candle Pouring Room

Alajane

I don't know if this should be posted here or in General Candle Making, so I'm just picking one. Also, I'm dividing this up into several posts because I hate to have to click on the pictures and then go back to read the description, so I'll put each picture in a separate post.

I’m so excited! I finally got my pouring room “sort of” organized! I know it will probably look junky to most of you, but for me it’s a major improvement since I’ve been working in chaos for the last couple of years. We had new windows installed a few weeks ago, so I had to move everything away from the windows, so I took the opportunity to go through and discard some “stuff,” and rearrange the remainder. There’s still one shelving unit I haven’t gotten to yet, but I really need to start pouring a few things tonight, so I took pictures of what I have done so far.

I’ve had my air freshener mixes stored in two boxes, so I was happy to get a shelf cleaned off where I can store these and get to them easily.

post-578-139458404821_thumb.jpg

This was the best way I could figure out to store baskets—anyone have any better suggestions??? I can’t resist buying them when I find a good sale (or a yard sale), but they take up so much space! So I installed this shelf in the wasted space above the window and hung baskets from the rod using S-hooks.

post-578-139458404824_thumb.jpg

I dragged this old bookcase out of my DH’s shop—he didn’t need it and I needed more shelf space. Those are 2 little wire cubes from setting on top because the bookcase was shorter than I would have preferred—but it was free, so I settled for it! I think one of my favorite storage ideas here is the use of magazine storage cases (second shelf from the top) to store different sized bags.

post-578-139458404826_thumb.jpg

FO storage system—this is 2 videotape cabinets bolted together (then bolted to the wall) because I couldn’t find anything tall enough and shallow enough, so DH and I “created” this. Unfortunately, I still ran out of storage space so I hung an over-the-door pantry shelf on the door for the overflow. (I really AM trying to cut down my FO list—I deleted 10 fragrances yesterday while I was rearranging these.)

post-578-139458404828_thumb.jpg

OK—so this doesn’t look too good! I have assorted boxes of jars stored on two of these plastic shelving units. But what I’m really proud of in this picture is the fantastic rolling cart DH rescued from his job! One of the wheels was off and it was going to be discarded, so he asked for it and replaced the wheel. It’s extremely heavy duty, will support lots of weight, and rolls so much better than the ones I’ve tried out in “Mart”-type stores—and no way I would have paid what one like this would have cost!

post-578-13945840483_thumb.jpg

The mixing table—with cases of wax underneath. My DS gave me the roaster for Christmas and I never cleaned off the table to set it up until this weekend. I’m looking forward to trying it out. I got my DIL to save baby wipe boxes for FO sample storage.

post-578-139458404832_thumb.jpg

Underneath the pouring table is where all my soap supplies are stored, along with miscellaneous other things (including one big box full of gift boxes and bows—“regular life” intruding in the candle world).

post-578-139458404834_thumb.jpg

And last but not least, the TV & VCR that are necessities for long pouring hours! Some of you have said you listen to music, but I like the sound of the TV in the background—very seldom actually look at it, but enjoy listening. But it took up much-needed space when I had it on a TV cabinet, so I got one of these handy-dandy wall mount units. Of course, I was in fear of it falling for the first month or so, but it’s been up about a year so hopefully it’s safe! (To the left of the TV is one of my 3 pegboards--I've fallen in love with them; they hold so many different things. This one is dedicated to the many rolls of ribbon--evidently I collect it like I do baskets!)

post-578-139458404837_thumb.jpg

The comments about the organization are my favorite, because I'm SO VERY unorganized!!! That's why this was such a struggle and a point of pride for me when I got it finished that I just had to post and share my joy!!

I can't imagine how it happened, but I gave birth to two very organized children--both of them have said they'd love to get hold of my "stuff," but I wouldn't dare let them because they're both "tossers" whereas I'm a "keper." I did throw away several large garbags cans full in this clean-up, but it was a struggle with each item! I always think that show "Clean House" would have a field day with me but I'd personally love to have the "Mission Organization" people come organize me.

lindsaycb, I agree about the space--when I first moved out of the kitchen into this bedroom, my daughter was amazed that I had been storing all that stuff in the kitchen (with bits and pieces in all the other parts of the house).

MRSGROOMS, I was so thrilled to finally come up with that FO storage system. I didn't want to use a bookcase because I wanted to put the bottles in "single file" and that would have been a lot of wasted space in a bookcase. This system allows me to store the bottles two-deep, so I can have one backup of FOs that are more popular.

Thanks for looking at my project.

Jane

Everything looks nice, I only hope to have a room set aside for my craft. As of right now I use the kitchen, dining room, front closet, and part of the linen(sp) closet....:laugh2: I know I really need to get it together. I told my fiancee that when we buy our first home it must have a spare bedroom, well he told me that he's going to put me in the garage if it has an electrical outlet. I guess that would be okay as long as it's my space!!!:D

The wire rack that you are using for your FO's works so great! I have the wall mount kind in my pantry/laundry/storage room for my canned goods and had to have DH get another one for my FO's. Problem is, I need another one! When I move out of the kitchen into the exercise room which is about to become my grandmothers room for a short bit, I will be soooooooooo glad to have a "workroom"!! I will be using everything and anything that I can get my hands on to make things organized for myself!! I first am going to have to put down linolium as the room is all carpeted! Urrrrrrg! The room is also odd shapped with too many doors and windows but...........it wont be the kitchen!! LOL

Thanks so much for posting your pictures hon! It gives some of us encouragement that we can get a bit more organized!!

God Bless,

Lynn

Fantastic storage ideas here! Thanks for sharing - especially the FO storage method! Hope you don't mind if I copy that! :) I love the magazine cases for bags too - brilliant!

You asked about baskets... I collect them too. I use scrap pieces of house wiring and slide the baskets with handles on the wire, then hook the wire on a rack or nail in the wall. (I nest baskets without handles in the ones that have handles.) Works pretty well, and I can fit several baskets in a very small space that way. Hope that makes sense... :undecided

Lori