heat gun help?

I'm new to soy candle making and am using C-3. I'm using a 4 oz. glass container, poured at 115 and got a smooth top except for a hairline crack. I used a heat gun over the top, put the candle in the microwave so it would cool slowly, and now I have a cauliflower top. What's the secret to getting a smooth top with a heat gun?

Thanks.

I think a lot of people start out using their blow dryers when they don't have a heat gun. The problem is it blows to high for the wax causing it to sputter or melt unevenly. Then you end up having a waxy mess especially if it is colored wax. The heat guns you can find at Home Depot in the paint section for about $20-$24. Milwaukee makes them. You will notice the difference in effort and how much cleaner your work space will be.

You'd have probably done fine with the heat gun alone, just heat until the top looks smooth. Don't be afraid of it, use caution not to heat the glass too much. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

Your problem came from letting it set in the microwave oven.

Not a good idea...this I know from experience.

In order to cool properly, candles must have proper, even, and adequate ventilation. You will not get that with a microwave or an oven because they cut off too much air flow. It has to be even and steady.

Just cool them away from open windows or drafts and the a/c. I know it's tough to do this time of year, but if you can find a place where there is a steady temp and no drafts...that'll do.

I find that doing my candles earlier in the day, before it gets too hot, helps.

I have found that I get smooth results from Soy just by pouring at a much cooler temperature it takes practice but I pour it at the last few moments before the wax is starting to set in the pitcher I keep a check on the temp and keep it stirred when I start to see flackes forming in the wax then I pour slowly to avoid air bubbles and I have smooth tops without the heat gun.

I use an embossing gun -- the kind found in craft stores that are made for card making. Gentler heat than a heat gun, and works MUCH better than a hair dryer.

I pour soy cool, and that usually makes for a nice top. However, I personally don't sweat it if the top isn't glass-smooth and pristine "perfect." Soy's nature is to be rustic. My soy candle customers don't seem to give a rip about the texture or soy's appearance ... they just want a clean-burning candle that throws well. :) Also, if the top's not "perfect," I figure when the customer burns it, it's going to look funky on top anyway. LOL ;)

I know many chandlers will disagree with me, but that's my view on the subject. I sincerely wish you happy candlemaking! :)

I use C-3 too and don't worry about the little hairline cracks. When I do heatgun the tops, I just leave them sit out on my table, and they're okay. You also might want to try pouring hotter. It's a hot pour wax, around 150. Welcome!

Thank you for all of your replies. I had read posts about letting the candle cool in the microwave, so that's why I tried that method. Apparently, that wasn't the right way for my candle. I know there is a lot of trial and error, but a smooth top is one of our goals, so I'd love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks again.