Wicking non-round containers

Has anyone ever tried estimating a starting point for wicking a not-round container by calculating the square inches of the surface of the container?

For example, a round container that is 3" in diameter would have a surface diameter of approximately 7.07 sq in (I think - that's r squared times pi, that is the correct formula, right?).

So if you have a square container that is 4" across, the surface area is 16 square inches, and would require, maybe, two wicks that have a burn rate and yield just slightly higher than the 3" round, right (assuming wax and FO is the same for both containers)?

Or is this way of calculating just completely off?

That's an interesting hypothesis. I think you figured right, just trying to remember which formula is for circumference and which for area. Now I have to look it up... :)

Okay, that's right, 7.07 just seemed small to me for some reason. You'll have to experiment and let us know. I would probably measure a square jar from corner to corner and try to wick it based on that measurement. Hmmm...this might be a more mathematical way to go. But then, what about rectangular containers?