Lye question

spurs2150

I have been and am still in the process of researching how to make CP soap. Although I am not quite ready to make CP soap, while at Lowe's today, I checked to see if they carry lye. I did not find a container labeled "Lye" , but I did find a drain cleaner that is 100% Sodium Hydroxide. As long as it is 100% sodium hydroxide, even though it is labeled drain cleaner, is this OK to use for CP soap? I know it is probably a stupid question, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Some brands are really 100% sodium hydroxide, and some kinds aren't, even though they say they are.

The Roebic brand of lye at Lowes was recently mentioned as a good lye to use. Here's a link to the discussion, and if you follow the link in the first post, it will take you to the Lowes website where there's a picture of the can: http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25398&highlight=roebic

HTH! :)

You're welcome! :)

Looks like I'll be heading out of town to Lowe's tonight, too. Went to make soap today and realized I don't have enough lye. Tore all around the city looking for it and there's not a speck to be found. I guess maybe I bought the remaining jars last time?

<rant warning> The nearest online supplier wants a signed affadavit, copy of my firstborn's birth certificate, fingerprints, blood sample, and foot size to send me some. Grrrr....I really *really* hate being treated like a criminal just because I like to make soap! It was bad enough the salesperson at the local hardware store looked at me like I was a three-headed hydra when I asked about Red Devil today. Stupid meth makers. </rant>

Dang. And I said I'd never step foot in a Lowe's, either. Now I have to eat my words. Double dang! :angry2:

I bought mine at Hardware Hank...it is Rooto Brand ....crystals of household 100% lye and is a 16oz container for $3.25. We have a Lowes and I will have to check that out. I called around and had a hard time finding it locally......didn't think of Lowes tho. And actually I had hubby pick it up while he was out running errands. They had 2 on the shelf and several cases in the back they told him. They were real helpful and he obviously didn't look like a meth head as they didn't give him any strange looks....LOL. I told him if they look at you strange just keep saying ......Well my wife is making soap and needs lye for the recipe....LOL

Kymber

There are three Lowes near me and not one carry roebics lye or any other brand. I found rooters or whatever it's called at ace hardware for 4.00 for 1lb. In the beginning I used Roebics but the lowes that carry it is too far away so from now on I will buy it online. it really is less expensive. Lowes 2lb container cost $8.16. When I buy online a 2lb container is 3.75 and the shipping for 11lbs was just $6.00 and I got it in 2-3 days. So unless I'm in a pinch I wont' be buying lowes lye anymore. It worked very well for me in the beginning.:D