Price per candle

snow

I've tried to figure this out...not good at all with these numbers..does anyone have a clue how much it costs to make one candle? How can I figure this out. I use J50 wax, 1/2 pint jelly jar, and 11/2 oz FO per pound. But my Xmas jars are from the jar store..1.19 per jar 9 oz. I don't know what to charge. Please help, tell me how to figure all this, dah!!! i WOULD like to make some money and not go in the hole. I know there has to be some kind of formula for this, right? What is the average price you people charge for this type of candle? Thanks so much for all your help...Dee

What I do is figure out how much pp I paid for wax..say you used 1 lb and wax is 1.25 pp, so there you have your wax cost...I used 1 oz of FO..so that is 2.50 for FO, Jar is 1.19, dye is .10 (for me it is anyway) wick is .10 (estimation) so far you have put 5.19 into the cost of the candle. Now multiply that by 3 for retail and 2 for wholesale. HTH

And the cost for your labeling, as well. The rule of thumb in the industry is to add up all those costs, and then multiply by 3 to get a retail number. I also spent some time doing market research as to what sells in our area and priced my candles according to what the market will bear, and what image I wanted my candles to have, which meant that I can charge more than the 3x rule of thumb. It really just depends on what you want to do.

everyone is going to be different depending on what you use.. mine come out to be $1.45 per 8oz jelly jar..including everything..my label, scent label, warning label(man I need to condense this).. wax, dye, wick, fo, jar and lid

plus each Fo tends to me a different cost..so this is my average. :wink2:

You must live near a supplier! The shipping costs kill me.

I live within decent shipping distance to several.. but I still use peaks for FO's and they are on the other side of the country.:wink2:

I have 3-5 I use within a one to two state difference..plus I live 5min from Ohio and 10min from PA so that helps...several suppliers in both states.:D