wick size help please-picture

I've been doing some searching and there seems to be a disagreement on whether too big of a wick will decrease scent throw. Most think that it will in the threads that I looked at which is one reason I'm worried about using the wicks on the left.

Here is my problem...I don't want to use an HTP 1212 so i decided to double wick my 1/2 pint square mason jar. I've seen some suggestions that said to use two HTP 52s or 62s unfortunately I don't have any that small--the smallest that I have is an HTP 83. So, I tried using two 83s and as you can see in the right side of the picture the flames are tiny so I tried using two 104s and as you can see in the left side of the picture the flame is too big and the melt pool is too deep.

So my question I guess is should I buy even smaller wicks...I'm just not sure since the 83s seemed too small.

By the way the wax is MCs 100% soy (I gather that it is actually GB 415) with a little beeswax and frostop. The scent is Lonestar's Lilac at about 6%. Oh yeah, I did try single wicking with a 105 in a pint jar and this seemed to do well, the wax left on the sides of the jar eventually caught up--but not in the 1/2 pint.

Sorry this is so long I just wanted to try to get all the information that might be needed in the first post.

post-3761-139458404312_thumb.jpg

I used to get my wicks from MC and they don't carry the 93s. If the 104 is too big and the 83s drown, then the 93s may work. Also if the 83s are drowning you definitely should not wick down. Double check and make certain you are trimming the 83s to 1/4 inch.

Check for a PM from me! ;)

geek

Hi. I think a lot of people can single wick with a 60 or 62C. Some 415 is harder than other 415, but if it is a regular batch and you aren't using too much FO in a hard to wick scent, it might do the job for you. I tried double wicking these also, but went back to single wicking. HTH. Beth

First I would like to say that jar is a PITA to wick for me. It actually should be able to get by with smaller wicks than the 52's. Like Geek mentioned, make sure they are trimmed to the right height. If they are trimmed too short, it will not burn right, from the start. I could never get those jars to wick right, the largest wick couldn't cut it and the smallest HTP wicks I found were too much for it. A lot of it has to do with the neck of the jar. I found the widemouth masons much easier to wick because they do not have the chimney that the square mouth jars have. I found I could wick those the same as my keepsake jars. Good luck with your testing and keep us posted.