Listing your website with search engines

xverion

Ok,

So far I've gotten my site listed on Google for free. Now I'm having problems everywhere else. My question to all is this: Do you have to run sponsored campaigns on all other sites, or is there a way that you know of to set up your link for free?

The sites I've gone to so far are Yahoo, Aol Search, Ask.com, and Google. Thought I would find out more from some experienced people in the field before I waste more time. Also, what other search engines are out there? Thanks for any help and hopefully this thread will help others as well.

Thank You for posting this.I am where you are and all I find is $300 and 400 to sign in to go on a search engine.That sounds impossible.I know for a year but some say they only get a couple orders a month etc.So last night I spent all night trying to figure this out.I had NO IDEA Google was FREE.I checked all night on YAHOO. Some were you paid per click and that is not good either.

Hope someone can help us and Thank You for posting.So far all the clicks I have are ME..HAAAA!!!!!!!!

LynnS

Thanks, Elle, we are still under major construction, but getting there. Hope to be open sometime in mid-July.

This is how I think I got my link listed on google. First you have to register there. After you log in, go to the business solutions link right below the search bar. Under the heading of Browse all our Business Solutions you will see listed website map. From there I think it is pretty self explanatory. Hope this helps.

xverion, when I first got Stephanies site which is now my site all the search engines I looked at were very expensive to get on and sometimes could take up to six months. But I found a company called Wpromote and they guarantee to have you up on 185 search engines in 48 hours and also promise to put you on the top 10 no longer than 10 days, I think it has been a while. It cost 24.94 a month I believe but it was worth every penny. You can pay an additional 49.95 one time fee and they will go in and evaluate your site for you. They check you meta tags and other things like that. They had me change a few things on my homepage like dont use all caps just capatilize what needs to be and the use lower case on the rest but they will tell you what they think you need to change and also tell you some words for your meta tags when the net does a search. Plus they relist you every month. I used them for about a year and then cancelled with them. but im still on all the search engines there are. Well worth the money for me I know Yahoo at that time want about 250.00 to list with them so I think I saved money going with them I was not unhappy with them at all. I think it is still www.Wpromote.com HTH

If you have any questions let me know. There might be some out there cheaper by now I just havent taken a look. I know these people are good.

Rob in tx

If your site is still under construction, then don't list it. If you read the fine print of most search engines they will tell you not to list it. You don't want an under construction page showing up in the search engines. You may get them listed, but the updated pages can take months to show up.

Unless you want to pay you wont get listed in Yahoo if it's a business and no company will list you either unless they want to pay. It's also a yearly fee. Get listed in google via sitemap and once your in google, get listed in the The Open Directory Project (ODP), which is a volunteer run site index. People look at it and decide if you get listed. If you get into those, you will start showing in others later on. I wouldn't waste my money on a submission service. You can do the same thing for free if your willing to read up on how to do it.

This site http://searchenginewatch.com/

will tell you everything you need to know.

Good luck :cheesy2:

I'm listed on yahoo and never paid to get listed.. I'm even listed in Yahoo local.. I even get a 5 pages that I can use to list info about my business.. You can find out the info about the yahoo local here: http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/local/business.php

They have a couple of opions you can pick from..Tey run from FREE to $29.95. I'm also on Google Local...

You just need to look around on these site, they try to hide thing so people will end up paying...

Jeanna

I'm listed on yahoo and never paid to get listed.. I'm even listed in Yahoo local.. I even get a 5 pages that I can use to list info about my business.. You can find out the info about the yahoo local here: http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/local/business.php

They have a couple of opions you can pick from..Tey run from FREE to $29.95. I'm also on Google Local...

You just need to look around on these site, they try to hide thing so people will end up paying...

Jeanna

I don't know about the local, but to be listed in the Business directory of yahoo, you must pay. When you do a search on yahoo using the web, your site shows up, when you do a search on yahoo using the directory, it does not. That is the difference. It shows on yahoo's other search results (from google, ODP, MSN, ect). It's not listed in yahoo's directory.

Trust me if there was a way to get into yahoo's business directory without paying for it, I would. Even if you pay the 299.00 fee all that does is guarantee that they will review your site, not list it, and it's not refundable if they don't :angry2:

The local thing sounds good. I will need to look into that. :D

Some websites let you automatically list your items into Froogle, and if you go to Froogle you can list them yourself if your website design does not permit it. Also, sign up for Adsense with Google. They actually pay you to put a small banner add in your website, and your website will also show in other people's banner ads on their site. They also have an Adwords program. Google is pretty simply, and free!

Yahoo can get pretty costly, and it sometimes is not worth it if the clicks are not converting to sales. It takes about 5 good months for new websites to get crawled by search engines too.

Most search engines are free to submit to. Google is one of them.

The trick to getting to Google to list you is NOT submitting it to them but having them FIND your web site by incoming links. This is to say, if Google finds your web site via someone's page who is linking to you, it will index you you as well. This is almost always faster than submitting to them-- simply get other established web sites to link to you for a few days and you'll be up and running.

It IS free to submit to Yahoo as well. They have a FREE and PAID FOR submit. Of course, it's worth it to pay them if you have the cash.

Free submit tools do not work for the real search engines and will almost certainly get you blacklisted from them. There are VERY few programs out there with licenses to submit to search engines like Google, and if your site is submitted to them falsely via an unlicensed program-- ZAP.

Always do submissions manually or have a legit program do it for you.

Hope this helps.