ECO wick problem

I tested an ECO wick in my soy blend, it was a white candle (no dye added) and the melt pool discolored to an off white. Does anyone else use ECO wicks and have you had any problems?

All the other wicks I use don't do this.

Could it be the wax coating of the wick, the special treatment of the wick fibers or that these wicks burn much hotter and scorched the wax.

I've used Eco's in Ecosoya PB & CBA & Full Moons pillar & container blends, in a variety of pillar sizes & containers & not noticed any discolouring.

However my Ecos come in hanks & I coat them myself before using them.

Sally.

I noticed this too when testing soy blend with the Antahala Vanilla, it was fine until about half way through the jar and then it discolored...I used Eco 4 with an 8oz jelly jar, I dont know if this is too big? Maybe it is? I am going to try an ECO 2 next time I test it...I didnt add any dye either...

It started to soot also, but isnt nearly as bad as the other FO's I have been testing...

post-1897-1394584043_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but all of my other wicks are paraffin coated and the Ecos I have are soy coated. My understanding is that they were especially made for soy waxes.

I use these wicks and I doubt it's really so much about the wick type. Sometimes when the candle is oxygen-starved, soot can settle on the melt pool and discolor it. Not speaking so much from personal experience as a nice explanation I read over in the NGI forum when someone asked about the same phenomenon. I think a few people here have agreed and you can confirm it by trying a size smaller wick. The photo posted in this thread looks like a nice example.

I agree with top. I get that same discoloration when I wick too high. The wick burns to hot scorching the FO and the wax.

The first wick I tested was to small and I need to wick-up so I guess this type wick will get worse.

I think I will stick with my current wicks and not do any further testing of ECO's, if these results are what I'm going to keep getting.