Getting Started

catseye

My goal is to start a company by next January - I want to do this so I can stay at home with children!

I am very new to all of this, and I have done limited research. I can build a website and I can make products, but I wonder:

1. How do you advertise?

2. Is eBay a good place to start?

3. Do you sell to local gift shops? If so, how do you solicit business?

4. How much business do you do from your website, and to whom do you sell? Is it mostly to individuals, or other small businesses? I have never purchased a candle through the Internet (not that I wouldn't, but I make my own!!) I also don't know people who have ordered through the Internet, so I wonder how much volume do you move SOLEY through this portion of business?

5. How do you specifically achieve growth?

6. What mistakes did you make in the beginning that I should be aware of?

Any advice for a newcomer is VERY WELCOME!!!! I've checked out Home-Based Business for Dummies, and it was ok. I'm looking for some information on the business side of things that is specific to candles. I have read that the average home-based candle business makes ~$25,000 - $50,000. Is this accurate?

Again, thank you for your help!

-Mare

Gads, if I were making $50,000 a year with my candle business, I wouldn't be sitting here at the law office I work at right now! Of course, I am not devoting 100% of my time and effort in candle making but even so, it is going to take you quite some time before you will ever see those kinds of figures. Don't get too excited and think you're going to get rich quick!

That's what I hate about email and written messages. You can't tell the tone of what a person is saying. I meant no harm by what I said. I was just thinking out loud how wonderful it would be if I could make that kind of money and not have to be sitting behind this desk all day!!!

I have heard some people say eBay is not a good avenue to take to sell candles. I don't know, though, I've never tried it. As for advertising, I would recommend going to vistaprint.com and checking out their specials for business cards and postcards. They always have GREAT deals on these items. I send the postcards out to potential and current customers to let them know of specials, to advertise my new website, etc. I've got the postcards posted on all the bulletin boards at work, too. They have been an effective marketing tool for me.

Check out local craft fairs as well. I have found that the fall craft fairs at local high schools are good ways to start selling without having to spend a lot of money on booth fees. I did pretty well at the first fall craft fair I did at our local high school and I've received repeat business from my exposure there.

HTH a little. Good luck with everything!!!

I know you didn't have a 'tone'.....I just wanted to say that, being new and having NO experience, there is a great deal to learn about the business end of the deal....and I want to be smart about it, and not rush in head-first (despite my enthusiasm!!!).

I am fortunate in that I live in a city where there are MANY craft fairs, and I anticiapte that's where I'll start off. I brought up the eBay thing because my husband had suggested it, and eBay makes it sound like you'll make a fortune, you'll be so successful, etc. I'd rather find out from the people that actually do it before I leap. I was a bit of a lurker around here, and I must say that I appreciate the politeness and helpfulness I've seen. I think that experience can be the best education....so, why not ask the people that know??

I'll check out the website you recommended for cards and flyers. I have yet to settle on a name (I keep changing my mind!), and I only have a partial business plan complete.

Thank you for your help!!! Please don't think I thought you wre being rude! I just rattled off the earnings figure I saw in that book, and wondered if it were really true.

ok..I have had a biz at home and in a store..and it is by no means easy or even profitable..If you want to stay home with the kids and do a biz you definatly got to reasearch all this info you are asking for..because I have done this over the past 8 years(oh my gosh has it been that long:shocked2: )..I owned a consigment shop(closed because of divorce), did several home show type businesses, owned a gift basket shop(which I regret closing every single day of my life), and converted that business into the bath & body and candle biz I have now..and most of the stuff I have learned I got from doing heavy duty research or screwing up. :D Mostly screwing up.:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: I laugh because that is the only way to deal with it. :D

I am not barking at you but owning a business is not as easy as people think it is..their are city/state/local laws and licenses..laws with labeling procuts..laws with what you can deduct from taxes..paying sales tax to the state you are in etc etc.. LOTS to know and follow.

1. press releases, word of mouth, flyers, biz card(AN ABSOLUTE MUST..try vista print..they are free you just pay shipping), website (which you then have to advertise your website and LEARN how to get on search engines..which is a whole other animal)

2. I don't think ebay is a route to go with this type of biz...you can probably do it better and cheaper on your own.

3. You have to learn to sell..you need to research wholesale pricing and how to sell wholesale and still make $$. offer samples and information..then follow up with the company you contact..small gift shops etc.

4. I do not get many orders ON my website but do get orders FROM it..it is like a virtual catalog..MOST people tend to look at the site and then call me with their orders..:undecided

5. You achive growth by selling your products and maintaing those customers plus adding new ones...and always updating and increasing your product offerings..staying with the times on scents and fads.

6. Selling cheap is not always better..don't short change yourself to make a buck it will come back to bite you in the long run. Try to get most supplies from 1-3 vendors to save on shipping...buy in bulk when you can..if that means only offering 10 scents so you can buy it by the pound then do so...only offer one size jar candle so you can buy in bulk..etc etc.

THIS SHOULD BE #1

TEST TEST..AND WHEN YOU THINK IT IS GREAT..TEST IT AGAIN...DONT SELL A THING YOU HAVE NOT TESTED..IN FACT DON'T EVEN GIVE SOMEONE SOMETHING TO TEST UNLESS YOU HAVE ALSO TESTED IT YOURSELF FIRST.

I am not sure exactly what you are offering as far as your product line but it is better to have a few EXCELLENT products rather than a whole bunch of ok stuff. ;)

Take your time and test everything.

Yes this has been said, but it is probably the best advice you can get!

Don't expect to make any money for 3+ years - and that is no joke.

Do you have a local college near you? I highly suggest that you check them out if you do. Our local college has a small business developement center that really helped me when I first started out. They help you do all the things you never even thought of doing when starting a business.

1. How do you advertise?

One night I popped some popcorn and poured myself a big soda and started listing my website with every search engine, message board, yahoo group, msn group, etc I could find. Then I got into the underbelly of my site and started to list key words that would pick me up.

Word of mouth from there.

2. Is eBay a good place to start?

I have never had any luck with Ebay, but I heard some have.

3. Do you sell to local gift shops? If so, how do you solicit business?

All the gift shops I do business with locally came to me after they read about me in the paper. When you open a new business, reporters usually flock to you and want to know what you are doing. Also you can call them and ask them to do a story about you too - ain't no shame in it !!

4. How much business do you do from your website, and to whom do you sell? Is it mostly to individuals, or other small businesses? I have never purchased a candle through the Internet (not that I wouldn't, but I make my own!!) I also don't know people who have ordered through the Internet, so I wonder how much volume do you move SOLEY through this portion of business?

If not for the internet, I wouldn't be where I am today.

5. How do you specifically achieve growth?

You gotta be good at what you do. There are millions of people doing what you are thinking about doing. You have to have an edge or do something so well that it goes above and beyond others. Or do something no one does and do it well.

6. What mistakes did you make in the beginning that I should be aware of?

Sit down with the small business developers if you have one in your area. It will save you so much time and money. If I could do it all over again, I would have an idea of everything I wanted to carry and that was it. No testing out this because I liked this scent, no trying this because Sally said it was cool, no spending all the extra cash I made to buy myself 10lbs of this because Karen said it was all the rage.

Pick what you want to do and stick to it like glue. You will save yourself so much money!! When you need supplies always go to the classifieds! More than likely you can get what you really need from another business owner that doesn't need it anymore.

Try to stay with the same supplier of your ingredients. Find the best shipping, best price and quality and stick with 'em. Don't venture off because Polly says she likes so and so.

Bottom line? Get all your ducks in a row, find everything that can go wrong and read about how to correct it before you start, get good insurance, find out about taxes and licenses, test - test - test!!!

Good luck and welcome to your new addiction!

Oh..I forgot ..make a business plan ..here is a good link

http://66.101.193.172/ivb/biz/business-tools/index.htm

even if you do not need a loan..it is good to write all your thoughs..ideas and goal down and see where you are a year from now..based on what you WANTED to do.. I have done this..I look back from just a month ago and revised things. ..you can make a new one every few years and revise what you have and see how far you have come from your actual goals.

If I could do it all over again, I would have an idea of everything I wanted to carry and that was it. No testing out this because I liked this scent, no trying this because Sally said it was cool, no spending all the extra cash I made to buy myself 10lbs of this because Karen said it was all the rage.

There were some excellent points in this thread, but the one I quoted is my biggest downfall!!! I just want to try everything. Also, PamperMe's comment about picking one jar and sticking with it is great--actually, my goal is to have a few different sizes of jars, but just picking one (or a few) will simplify my life greatly.

Good thread!

Jane

There were some excellent points in this thread, but the one I quoted is my biggest downfall!!! I just want to try everything. Also, PamperMe's comment about picking one jar and sticking with it is great--actually, my goal is to have a few different sizes of jars, but just picking one (or a few) will simplify my life greatly.

Good thread!

Jane

What I mean by one jar is not changing your jar after you test everything out.. you can pick a few jars but don't change after you have 'GOOD' testing down cause it will cost $$$$$$ to re test everything in the new jar...when you own a biz you learn to be frugal as well. ..cause it comes out of YOUR pay.:wink2: