HTP wick questions

Morning everyone!

I am doing some testing on both my container (metro jars) and square 8 oz tins. I got a sample pack of seeral different wicks (hand-me-downs from a fellow CT'er) and have found that the HTP A5 works very well with the tin - but when I go to all the suppliers, I don't see any HTP A5. I even have two packs labled like that, is there such an animal??? Am I just missing something?

Second, when I compare the size of the tin to the size of the container, I am thinking that the same wick may work for both. So, I plug in my HTP A5, but in the jar, the melt pool diameter is much smaller and it doesn't get a full mp. What is up with that? Does the fact that it is a jar make it burn/melt differently? I have tried several different wicks and so far am happy with the HTP if I can just figure out what size!!

Any of you have this happen? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

:cheesy2:

Oops, meant to add that I am using Ecosoya wax.

Yup, tins are usually wicked lower than jars of the same diameter. I haven't noticed the difference so much at the top like you just did, but it doesn't surprise me. Farther down into the container the difference gets more dramatic. The metal conducts heat along the sides (which helps melt the hangup) and I suppose it probably reflects some back into the candle. Tins can burn pretty hot at the bottom. If you're getting a full melt pool at the top, you might find yourself wicking it down a notch once you've burned the whole thing.

A5 is HTP 105 and A4 is HTP 104

I have a supplier who labels them that way but haven't seen anyone else do it. I think at one time it was referred to as A5? I'll have to check their website...

Okay, their site doesn't say why, but they are the same.