Dont you just love...

You can make soap with soap wort - I think that is what it is called. I have a recipe somewhere for this soap using a plant. From my understanding, it won't lather that great, but it is soap for the most part. I wonder if that is what she used to make her soap.

You can make soap with soap wort - I think that is what it is called. I have a recipe somewhere for this soap using a plant. From my understanding, it won't lather that great, but it is soap for the most part. I wonder if that is what she used to make her soap.

Never heard of soap wort, off to do some research on it. Thanks for the info!

People who claim to make their soap with no lye but their soap is not melt and pour? There is even a lady on Ebay selling a "no lye" recipe for old fashioned soap "the way grandma used to make it". Now I know grandma did not have any melt and pour in the 20s:laugh2:

A friend of my mom's swears she knows someone who made soap without lye. She was going to try to get the instructions for me, but haven't seen anything of it yet.

"I recently received a very helpful answer from you regarding growing herbs in containers, for which I thank you. Among others, I placed an order to buy a soapwort plant from Richters, and my question concerns the appropriate way to make "soap" from it. I read conflicting information from different sources -- some say to boil the dried roots, others to boil stems and leaves. Which one is the appropriate way? Could you also indicate to me what ratio I should have of plant material and water? Can other plants be added, such as chamomile or mint? If leaves and stems are to be used, can they be used either dried or fresh?

According to Margaret Dinsdale, author of "Skin Deep", an excellent book on making your own herbal body products, both the leaves and roots are used. The fresh leaves infused in boiling water makes a mild soap substitute. But it is my impression is that the roots are richer in saponins, the constituents that are responsible for the soapy nature of the plant.

The "Plants for a Future" database (http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Saponaria+officinalis&CAN=LATIND) says this about soapwort [sans references]:

"A soap can be obtained by boiling the whole plant (but especially the root) in water. It is a gentle effective cleaner, used especially on delicate fabrics that can be harmed by modern synthetic soaps (it has been used to clean the Bayeaux tapestry). It effects a lustre in the fabric. The best soap is obtained by infusing the plant in warm water. The roots can be dried and stored for later use. The plant is sometimes recommended as a hair shampoo, though it can cause eye irritations." "

Seems as if it can be used alone to make something that is soapy in nature, but not as a substitute for lye in itself. I dont think you can mix olive oil, coconut oil, etc with it and come out with a bar of soap.

"One of the best known examples of this, at least in Europe, is our native wild flower Soapwort (Saponaria officinalis). This is a perennial plant usually found in damper soils in woods, hedgerows, by streams, etc. It is still used nowadays particularly for cleaning delicate fabrics, including the Bayeaux Tapestry! The saponins are extracted by boiling for a short time and then infusing the whole plant. It can also be used as a hair and body wash alone."

It is more suitable for washing clothes.

I think Black Soap is soft because of the high content of shea - shea has so many unsaponafiables. That's just me taking a guess though. ;)

I'll have to look to see if I can find that recipe I have that uses soapwort. I believe I sent it to Robin too. Maybe she will have it still? Or maybe she has done this recipe and can report to us how it turned out?

The African Black soap I use doesn't contain any shea. I think there are several types of this soap available right now. I have also seen a African Black soap for sale that contained shea. Some are simply regular soap that black dye has been used.

http://www.nasabb.com/nasabbnew/factssheablack.htm#Black%20Soap

Scroll down to Black Soap :- Used for centuries. Beware of the FAKES

I have encountered a few of the black soap phonies too. True african black soap will have a hig shea content if shea nuts are used instead of cocoa nuts. Being born in Nigeria plus both my parents are Nigerian, I have been using it all my life. My mom swear by black soap and shea butter, and she looks like she could be my sister, her skin is so fresh and smooth, not one wrinkle.